Post Game Thread : Falcons Take NFC 44-21 Over Green Bay

Well, the team kept it together for an improbable run - frankly, an amazing run - and it ended in extremely probable fashion.
Obviously, the team suffers from a significant lack of play making depth in key areas defensively. Losing Shields for the season was catastrophic. Letting a pro bowl CB leave for nothing was a complete failure given the absolute regression from those treasured TT draft picks. And, speaking for myself, it's quite easy for me to not be overly invested in this loss - you can't win big games against more talented teams on the road given injuries and lack of organizational aptitude.

Given the hindrances of the current Packers way, we can simply thank the heavens we have the genius of A-Rod to look forward to. If the Packers philosophy is flawed - and we all know it is - then embrace the fact we have an all-time great in A Rod. If we generally disagree with the Packers in coaching facets and talent acquisition - done in a manner that one could argue does not set the organization up to actually win a Super Bowl (let alone get there) - it is only sensible to change expectations as a fan. I don't expect Super Bowls given I hold these sentiments. I expect A Rod to lift the talent of everyone around him.

The Packers desperately need a version of him on defense - hell, they actually just need the 2015 version. Anywho, it could be worse...they could be the Bucks. There is always that :D

Another playoff opponent that got to 40 points and beyond (45 is the Packer playoff record, and it will have been tied or eclipsed 3 times since '10). That's 4 of 8 times since Rodgers has been at the helm. That's never happened during Brady's run with the Patriots, in a period almost twice as long. At the Packers' pace with Rodgers, it would have happened 7 times to Brady and co. Their highest point total allowed has been 38 points, and they lost. This is not to mention the collapses down the stretch on d and special teams against Seattle, Arizona, and San Fran.

It's not fair to Rodgers, the offense, and the fans to keep the status quo. Nobody can reasonably say at this point it's not TT's, Capers', and/or McCarthy's fault. Pick one or more, and they have to be fired.
If it's TT, they may all meet their demise with him. This defense was loaded with rooks, second year players, guys who couldn't match up, make plays, put consistent pressure on the qb, etc. Beyond that they played a soft zone, delayed blitz, didn't fake it well, often brought 3 and got exploited, early prevent, etc. There are plenty of things you could critique Capers for this year or over his tenure. Maybe the net effect is he isn't the problem, but we know there is a big problem, and he could be one of the causes for it. So often they've been helpless, and that's a pattern. As far as TT goes, does it really give you a lifetime pass because you drafted Aaron Rodgers 12 years ago and that pretty much guarantees you 9-10 wins and around reaching the divisional playoff? I don't think so. Rodgers would still be here if Thompson were gone.

On to another off season of "what if " and looking forward to the draft. Ice fishing time for me.

The best thing about this was the run that got us here, because it was fun as ****.

The worst thing about this was the run that got us here, because it probably saved the jobs of some coaches that should be shown the door.

I just hope it's not Ted that tries to save the defense. I can't take another Jerel Worthy, Justin Harrell, or Khyri Thornton pick. As great as Ted is at picking great offensive players, he just can't get the defense set in the right direction. I hope there is somebody more progressive at the helm this year.

Getting to the NFC Championship game probably saved coaches that don't seem able to make adjustments and changes. I think the run probably prevented moves that need to be made. We'll see. They did good to end up in the championship game with a pretty weak defense. Just testifies to Aaron's greatness, imo.

thumbsup
None.

thumbsdown)) sick(
The Packers - Everyone today. Outplayed, outmanned, outcoached. Just a sloppy, lethargic game. And it came at the worst possible time.

The reasons we lost:
Defensive CBs
7 dropped passes
2 TOs
Defense is, has been, and will continue to be the problem as long as TT and Capers are here. That means no more titles for AR. It sucks and you could see the frustration on his face tonight. He knows his days are numbered.
I also want to point out the frustration of MM not running the football. I understand we wont run it 30 times a game and the O starts with AR but Ty had 3 carries in the first half. We could have tried longer methodical drives to keep Ryan off the field a little. But MM always says we will run more and we don't. It would also have helped the pressure and hits on AR.

The reasons we lost:
Defensive CBs
7 dropped passes
2 TOs
Defense is, has been, and will continue to be the problem as long as TT and Capers are here. That means no more titles for AR. It sucks and you could see the frustration on his face tonight. He knows his days are numbered.
I also want to point out the frustration of MM not running the football. I understand we wont run it 30 times a game and the O starts with AR but Ty had 3 carries in the first half. We could have tried longer methodical drives to keep Ryan off the field a little. But MM always says we will run more and we don't. It would also have helped the pressure and hits on AR.
Agreed. A run game would be nice. MM is a believer that his passing game will set up his run game. Not sure where this team goes from here. Usually making the NFCCG means a team is on the upswing but I don't get that feeling with this team. It feels as if there are going to be some holes that need to be filled. RB position has no solidity. DBs have regressed. Papers and Matthews a shell of themselves. LBers ok but nothing great. Again, I hate to comment so close after a loss as my disappointment usually over rules my common sense but this team has issues. Yes, they had a great 8 game run but the deficiencies should not be overlooked. The only thing an appearance in this NFCCG accomplished was that we'll now have another 10 years of MM and staff as he sees fit. Not much will change from GM down.

I will do my season ending thread midweek but some of my thoughts.

This was a team that had hot/cold streaks all year. No one should be surprised that in the end our defense plain collapsed. The front 7 can't get pressure consistently and once a team finds a crease in the run game they tend to exploit it. Our DT get over aggressive and give up the cut back lanes ( See today's game). Our LB are just ok.. they do enough but they don't scare anyone.
Our defensive backs are poorly coached and play undisciplined sloppy football. At least 3 of them are undfa for a reason and their lack of talent shows.
Offensively you have a big problem. You have built your whole offense around 1 man. That's fantastic except when he struggles they look like poo.You have no stud RB to carry the load if he struggles and our WR count on Rodgers skills to get them open not the other way around.The OL which I hear so much about looks a lot better because twinkle toes makes them look that way.

In short you have a great franchise QB that wins you games...you also have a franchise QB that loses games for you.

Bad depth... Iffy schemes and Bad karma don't give you losing seasons every year nor do they win you super bowls. If GB wants to keep the coffers full and stands full they won't change much. If they ever get around to wanting to win a SB then drastic changes in philosophy and personal will be needed. sb(tc(

Back