Post Game Thread : Dallas Defeats The Pack 30-16

Upon reflection over the game, I came to the conclusion that we saw the real Green Bay Packers play against the Cowboys. The Packers are good enough to win against teams in the lower half of the league, but are going to struggle, and more often than not, lose, against teams in the upper half. Now, the question is what/whom could make them better?

My gut reaction is to say; "Dump McCarthy!" My second reaction is; "Bench Rodgers!" Then there's this little thing inside myself that tells me how smug Rodgers has been in the past, with things like his; "R-E-L-A-X!" Since the day he said that, I thought he was way too smug and it was going to bite him in the rear in the end. Want to say it again Aaron? Especially now, since you've become a less than average NFL QB?

Rodgers is 25th in the league in passing yardage. 24th in QB rating at 88.4. 34th in completion percentage. 38th in average yards per pass. I could add more, but in every aspect of the game, Aaron has become a pedestrian player who doesn't play as good as Jay Cutler or Blake Bortles most of the time. This has to be alarming since so much of the Packers success has hinged on his ability to lead the team, and make plays that we once thought were nearly impossible.

If the offense is as bad as ours has been, it has a direct effect on every aspect of the game. It harms our defense in ways that often don't show up in stats. One of those big issues is turn overs. When, and where do they happen? Giving the ball up on your own 25 yard line is a lot worse than giving it up on the opponents 25. The defense may show has having given up points and it should have been linked to the offense. The same thing applies to time of possession. Your defense is on the field too much, or you keep counting on them to bail you out constantly, and they will eventually fail.

The problem in Green Bay is that McCarthy doesn't recognize the fact that the offense is stale, ineffective, and the leadership on the field is tentative, and pretty much out of sync with the supporting cast. Not even Rodgers to Nelson is in sync. But, based on the Rodgers mantra, or maybe the McCarthy belief, they've moved on and made Montgomery the new #1 in their hearts. But that didn't happen because he's changed his play. It happened because Montgomery showed smarts on the sideline kick return play. It was brilliant! I guess Rodgers figured he had a high enough Wunderlich score to throw to him. I would never have said that, had it not been for the way Rodgers made comments about Favre. Time to eat those words. Always remember to be kind to the people you pass on the way up, because you may be passing them on the way down. Favre is in the HOF, and Rodgers is quickly eating away the base of everything that had been pointing him in that direction as well. Favre may yet have the last laugh, and ask; "So... how high was that Wunderlich score?"

Rodgers will be the Packers QB as long as McCarthy is in town. Probably as long as Thompson as well. The three are linked together, as the three that made us move on from the Favre era. They'll be the Three Amigos, riding out of town within a couple of yeas of each other.

Until we have a reality check of who's leading this team on the sidelines, and coaching players as to "how to play the game," as much as game planning, the whole concept of winning as a team will not exist in GB. A 10-6 record this year, along with comments about injuries, and a promise to do better next year may make some people happy, but to those of us who lived through the 70s and 80s, we know when someone's blowing smoke up our arse.

I'm anxious to see which coaches leave the team after the debacle this year, and who's fired. Rest assured, there will be sacrificial moves. There always is.

Back