Post Game: Preseason Game 1, GB 36 Bungles 19

About as fun of a Pre-season game as I've seen in a long time. It reflected the youth and excitement around the team.

QB-Both Love and Clifford looked good.
Love was sharp. Very clean. One mistake came trying to force the ball to Watson vs Cover2. That's just a play that comes with experience. I would assume he was supposed to try and look the safety off and if the Safety doesn't bit, come back to Reed who was running a deep crosser and was wide open for what would have been a 20-30 yard gain depending on where he put it.

Also missed Musgrave on a throw he HAS to make(that guy really needs to stay healthy as he looks like such a difference maker).

Clifford looked like everything you want from a backup QB. He's not a threat to Love at all, but he's an athlete, he's got decent size(6'2 222 4.62 40) and he looked decisive. Just lacks the arm strength to throw those longer routes from the opposite hash. But that's why he was a 5th Rd pick. After ONE Pre-season game, he's okay, now that could change quickly in two weeks so let's see how it plays out.

RB-Jones caught a nice little ball from Love, got tackled and MLF got him the hell outta there.

A pretty disappointing performance from this group as a whole. Goodson, a guy I was high on last year(I think just about every Packers fan was) again just goes down with a stiff breeze. He's a scat back. I'm not sure he runs with more authority than Tyler Ervin. Patrick Taylor is fine. A STer.

Emanuel Wilson though...even without that 80 yard TD run, he looked like a dude. 5'11 229 and he showed great vision and balance. Then on the big run after bouncing off a couple guys, their safety has the angle coming downhill and Wilson just outruns the angle. I'd predict we go with 2 RBs again and then call up Taylor, Goodson again, but Wilson may force our hand. Especially with Dillon as FA.

WRer-Malik Heath just played outstanding in every facet. The Packers HAVE to love the run blocking as much as snagging a couple of tough balls in the middle of the field knowing the safety was closing on him.

But when he ran the CB into the kicking net, then backed off and drew the penalty? That is the type of thing that helps you make a team.

Toure-The guy the Packers coaches and FO bring up unsolicited on a regular basis had a ugly play on a KR, but outside of that, he also played about as well as you could ask.

Reed went up and showed how tenacious he is in 50/50 situations.

Wicks, Heath and Toure look like they've gotta be the obvious favorites behind Watson, Doubs and Reed to make the team.

TE-Musgrave only finished with 1 catch on 8 yards, but Love missed him on one, Clifford missed him on another. But he was constantly getting open.
Kraft was open 2-3 times and Clifford missed him, and he threw a crappy pass on the INT that most are blaming on him. He did a nice job blocking though. He made the team last night after Davis injury.

GB is going to be looking for depth here on cut downs.

OL-Really interesting to me that JRJ and Tom both took snaps at Center.
Caleb Jones looked good when he was in. Didn't see the injury, so hopefully it's minor...but again, a 6'9 370LB OT gets an ankle injury, is it ever minor?
Luke Tenuta who looks like HE could be a nice project who starts paying dividends this year, he went down with what looked like a much more significant injury SOLELY from the look on his face.

Rasheed Walker was really lazy on a couple of outsize zones going away from him. He HAS to close down...and while it's tough to beat the 3 tech to the spot, you're blocking down. You have to take him and just move him. That's the WHOLE point of the play. TO OPEN THE CUTBACK LANES. One one big loss the Bengals 97 crossed his face, the Packers got no movement on the right side and IIRC, it was Taylor, he had to cut back and it was a 5-6 yards loss because Walker gave up on the play.

There was too much mixing and matching to really tell how Schnieder did or any other individuals for the most part. JRJ looked capable at Center. I think that's a really interesting development. It's clear the Packers are not happy with Myers.

Oh, we DID have some Sean Rhyan sightings and he looked good. I believe he and Newman were in the game on the Wilson runs.

Offense-Looked about as clean as you could have hoped for week 1 of the Pre-season.

Emanuel Wilson, Malik Heath and Sean Clifford did the most IMO to cement or improve their chances to make the team.

DEFENSE--

Well, they were flying around.

Valentine looks like a dude, Cox Jr looked good. The young DL looked good, particularly Wooden IMO. Enagbare looked good.

Slaton showed a lot more burst last night. Ford also looked much better getting into the backfield. Tariq Carpenter was up and down, but in there for 3 quarters. Clearly the Packers wanted to get a long look at him.

Secondary-CB looks like it's a deep group. Nixon, Valentin and Ballentine played aggressive vs the run.

Some breakdowns, but Joe Barry seemed like he might, could be following through on promises to be more aggressive. Put together more aggressive schemes than we've seen from a Packers defensive unit in a long time for a Pre-season game.

The defense is far more set than the offense, so it was more about how the fringe players played and I think those guys did as well as you could have reasonably expected.

Safety is a problem, but with the depth we have at CB, I'm still hoping we see Douglas playing some safety. Nixon also looks like the nickel at this point. Especially with Stokes fighting back from a pretty significant lower leg injury.

Overall, this was what you hope you see from such a young team with so many guys fighting for playing time, for roster spots. Doesn't really tell me much about what this team will look like during a 17 game schedule, but they played fast, they bounced back from mistakes and Love showed about as much as you could have hoped.

My takeaways from preseason game 1

Good: Carrington Valentine, Dontayvion Wicks, Jayden Reed, Emmanuel Wilson, Brenton Cox Jr.

Bad: Anders Carlson, Alex McGough, Patrick Taylor, Sean Rhyan

Up & down: Jordan Love, Sean Clifford

Other things I found interesting

Savage & Owens starting at Safety, followed by Tarvarius Moore, and then Rudy Ford & Dallin Leavitt

Runyan & Tom both getting snaps at center

It was just great to see some Packers football. Many have already stated the good, bad an ugly but for me, for all the hand wringing, Love looked like a pro QB. I love the youth movement and it'll be fun watching these guys grow. A whole different vibe surrounding this year and I like it.

About as fun of a Pre-season game as I've seen in a long time. It reflected the youth and excitement around the team.

QB-Both Love and Clifford looked good.
Love was sharp. Very clean. One mistake came trying to force the ball to Watson vs Cover2. That's just a play that comes with experience. I would assume he was supposed to try and look the safety off and if the Safety doesn't bit, come back to Reed who was running a deep crosser and was wide open for what would have been a 20-30 yard gain depending on where he put it.

Also missed Musgrave on a throw he HAS to make(that guy really needs to stay healthy as he looks like such a difference maker).

Clifford looked like everything you want from a backup QB. He's not a threat to Love at all, but he's an athlete, he's got decent size(6'2 222 4.62 40) and he looked decisive. Just lacks the arm strength to throw those longer routes from the opposite hash. But that's why he was a 5th Rd pick. After ONE Pre-season game, he's okay, now that could change quickly in two weeks so let's see how it plays out.

RB-Jones caught a nice little ball from Love, got tackled and MLF got him the hell outta there.

A pretty disappointing performance from this group as a whole. Goodson, a guy I was high on last year(I think just about every Packers fan was) again just goes down with a stiff breeze. He's a scat back. I'm not sure he runs with more authority than Tyler Ervin. Patrick Taylor is fine. A STer.

Emanuel Wilson though...even without that 80 yard TD run, he looked like a dude. 5'11 229 and he showed great vision and balance. Then on the big run after bouncing off a couple guys, their safety has the angle coming downhill and Wilson just outruns the angle. I'd predict we go with 2 RBs again and then call up Taylor, Goodson again, but Wilson may force our hand. Especially with Dillon as FA.

WRer-Malik Heath just played outstanding in every facet. The Packers HAVE to love the run blocking as much as snagging a couple of tough balls in the middle of the field knowing the safety was closing on him.

But when he ran the CB into the kicking net, then backed off and drew the penalty? That is the type of thing that helps you make a team.

Toure-The guy the Packers coaches and FO bring up unsolicited on a regular basis had a ugly play on a KR, but outside of that, he also played about as well as you could ask.

Reed went up and showed how tenacious he is in 50/50 situations.

Wicks, Heath and Toure look like they've gotta be the obvious favorites behind Watson, Doubs and Reed to make the team.

TE-Musgrave only finished with 1 catch on 8 yards, but Love missed him on one, Clifford missed him on another. But he was constantly getting open.
Kraft was open 2-3 times and Clifford missed him, and he threw a crappy pass on the INT that most are blaming on him. He did a nice job blocking though. He made the team last night after Davis injury.

GB is going to be looking for depth here on cut downs.

OL-Really interesting to me that JRJ and Tom both took snaps at Center.
Caleb Jones looked good when he was in. Didn't see the injury, so hopefully it's minor...but again, a 6'9 370LB OT gets an ankle injury, is it ever minor?
Luke Tenuta who looks like HE could be a nice project who starts paying dividends this year, he went down with what looked like a much more significant injury SOLELY from the look on his face.

Rasheed Walker was really lazy on a couple of outsize zones going away from him. He HAS to close down...and while it's tough to beat the 3 tech to the spot, you're blocking down. You have to take him and just move him. That's the WHOLE point of the play. TO OPEN THE CUTBACK LANES. One one big loss the Bengals 97 crossed his face, the Packers got no movement on the right side and IIRC, it was Taylor, he had to cut back and it was a 5-6 yards loss because Walker gave up on the play.

There was too much mixing and matching to really tell how Schnieder did or any other individuals for the most part. JRJ looked capable at Center. I think that's a really interesting development. It's clear the Packers are not happy with Myers.

Oh, we DID have some Sean Rhyan sightings and he looked good. I believe he and Newman were in the game on the Wilson runs.

Offense-Looked about as clean as you could have hoped for week 1 of the Pre-season.

Emanuel Wilson, Malik Heath and Sean Clifford did the most IMO to cement or improve their chances to make the team.

DEFENSE--

Well, they were flying around.

Valentine looks like a dude, Cox Jr looked good. The young DL looked good, particularly Wooden IMO. Enagbare looked good.

Slaton showed a lot more burst last night. Ford also looked much better getting into the backfield. Tariq Carpenter was up and down, but in there for 3 quarters. Clearly the Packers wanted to get a long look at him.

Secondary-CB looks like it's a deep group. Nixon, Valentin and Ballentine played aggressive vs the run.

Some breakdowns, but Joe Barry seemed like he might, could be following through on promises to be more aggressive. Put together more aggressive schemes than we've seen from a Packers defensive unit in a long time for a Pre-season game.

The defense is far more set than the offense, so it was more about how the fringe players played and I think those guys did as well as you could have reasonably expected.

Safety is a problem, but with the depth we have at CB, I'm still hoping we see Douglas playing some safety. Nixon also looks like the nickel at this point. Especially with Stokes fighting back from a pretty significant lower leg injury.

Overall, this was what you hope you see from such a young team with so many guys fighting for playing time, for roster spots. Doesn't really tell me much about what this team will look like during a 17 game schedule, but they played fast, they bounced back from mistakes and Love showed about as much as you could have hoped.
Excellent evaluation. It would have been hard to not be impressed by some facets of how they played, despite the mistakes. Like you said, it's also difficult evaluating a lot of what happened, because of the camera angles, and what was often announcers being distracted by shiny objects to use as pom poms as they became Bengals cheerleaders.

I'd love to get my hands on what the Packers coaching staff has been reviewing since they got home.

Back