Post Game: Lions Defeat Green Bay 30-17

I think my prediction was 28-20 Lions because I thought the offense would be a little better. I was wrong. The offense was actually worse. I did say you could not count on the defense, and I was right about that. You cannot count on this defense to carry the team at an point, for any length of time. It's a mess. Dumb plays, dumb schemes.

For example - early in the game, Daniels pulls a dumb stunt and extends a drive. Very next drive Matthews gets a dumb penalty and extends another drive. Your two veteran leaders are the ones making the foolish mistakes. How is that leadership?

Second half, Dom the Genius dials up some crazy play calls to show everyone how innovative he is and a guy named Jim Bob Cooter looks like he's the real genius on national TV . . . not once, but multiple times. The defensive coaches are a disgrace.

We will win another 2-3 games in all likelihood, but that will be it. Hopefully it leads to a housecleaning at 1265. If not whole house, at least fire the defensive coaches and see if you can rebuild that half of the team. Whole house will come soon. Maybe not this off-season, but likely in the next 2-3 years.

To run all these numbers and find statistical anecdotes to back up decisions of inactivity is how wars are lost. We suck. Our defense has been embarrassing on National TV for years now. We try to assign blame, or not, on who should bear the brunt- all the while nothing happens. We pat ourselves on the back and play the 'injury' card over and over and over. We belittle arguments that aren't backed up by some convoluted statistic. Just look at our performances the last couple weeks! You think some statistic is reasonable to save anyone who is responsible? Sometimes you need to get mad, sometimes you need to heed your gut!
The coaching staff had two full weeks to prepare and what we witnessed last night was the result? Give me a goddamn break.
Apologists will gather and find all kinds of excuses. They will bring up obscure stats that will try to explain why we should stick with a system that is FAILING! You can keep the 'system' that produces HISTORICALLY awful playoff defensive game plans and an offense that relies on the greatness of one player to lift the rest of them.
This isn't just a one game reaction, so save your breath, it is the recall of surviving the 70s-80s wasteland. Steps need to be taken soon before THAT death spiral starts again.

I can't seem to find my G and G glasses.....damn.

I don't think I've ever read a bunch of posts more spot on than those you guys have put in this thread. It all goes back to the coaches, and their jobs, to prepare the 53 men they have to play a game. It isn't just "get Rodgers ready," and everyone sees that, and knows that.

Last night, Mooch said something that was about as direct an indictment of Capers defense as anything I've heard, and it's something I've been preaching for a long time. He stated, on more than one occasion, that the defense forced Martinez to play against speedy backs, and WRs in passing zones, because of their personnel packages on the field, and at the same time, he was expected to handle being back up for lane integrity against the run. "It just doesn't work!"; Mooch said. He's right.

I've preached this for years. I said it with Barnett. I said it with Hawk. I say it now, with Blake. They expect one man to lead the team in tackles, by guaranteeing lane coverage against the run, and expect him to cover sideline to sideline, to help maintain outside integrity, then expect him to read receivers well enough that he can catch of with a speed merchant and cover him effectively from 7 to 25 yards deep. If you're big enough, and strong enough, to play ILB in our system, you're also a little slower, so can't stay with these burners. That's just plain common sense.

I've said it before. Hawk owns the record for most tackles for a career, by any Packer player in history. Yet, he was called "inadequate" by McCarthy, to cover the fact that the defense is not properly designed to utilize it's players. Hawk even took pay cuts, to play in GB, and be part of the future. Yet, he was maligned by the very coaches who made things happen the way they did.

They say the Packers are a big, happy family. They may be, but they treat some of those family members a little differently, because they need someone to blame for failure. By Wednesday morning, it's going to be #50, who didn't get good enough coverage on guys like Golden Tate, and that's what led to their demise. They'll say it caused them to have to drop a safety down to make that cover, when they know damned well there isn't a true ILB in the league who can cover him one-on-one, across, and up the field.

Blame where blame belongs. A "safe offense," which plays to lose slowly, and a defense that is totally lacking. We got it all, and it spells a lot of losses.

Things said by friends whose football opinions I respect:
"My word, it's like watching KU out there."-friend who, for some reason, goes to 2-3 home Kansas games every year (and @ISU if they're there (and she lives in Wisconsin)).

"We're only going because the [UW Marching] Band will be there, and we'll probably only stay because the Band will be there.

Back