Players still available for Secondary

Terranimal

Reaction score
Safeties still out there yet are FS Jarius Byrd and SS TJ Ward....not sure if a fit or what they have left in the tank, but one would think either could help here maybe like Eugene Robinson did the year we won the SB with Favre.

One Corner that caught my eye available but would have to be a fit is Byron Maxwell of Seattle...though after the money spent on Williams we might be done on Corners.

Not so sure we are done at CB. Spotrac now has the new CAP numbers up with the Graham and Wilkerson deals included and it shows they still have about $17mil in CAP space.

I'm sure Williams deal will pull a few million off that number and the rookies will pull off a few more million, but I'm guessing there is still room for another contract or two in that $2-3mil range. Guys like Jordan Matthews and Delvin Breaux who will be looking for 1-yr prove-it type deals.

This is where we'll find out if Gute has really ushered in a new era. By now TT would be exhausted from all this FA action and just locked himself in a closet somewhere with a DVD player wishing FA to be over. There are still guys out there who can fill some depth slots and take away needs for the draft. That is always what bugged me about TT. If you want to go into the draft truly being able to draft BPA then you need to take away need as a factor. TT always left himself with big needs going into the draft and that forced his hand at times. Some of those picks every year were such obvious "need" picks.

I'm not sure we will find out much this year about Gute to be honest. This year is a stop the bleeding, stabilize the roster, and hopefully improve the talent level for a few years then see what he can find in the draft. Gute has already shown to be diff than TT, which is promising.

As for secondary players, he has to do more. The back end of the D is really really thin. So either Byrd or Ward would bring experience/leadership desperately needed even if they aren't at the top anymore.. As would Maxwell. We can't find that through the draft.

Byrd at this point of his career is a backup I would think and being a 10 year vet would get $1 million dollars as vet min. I would think the Packers would probably pass on him for having to pay him that to most likely be the 3rd or 4th safety.

Guys like Jordan Matthews and Delvin Breaux who will be looking for 1-yr prove-it type deals.

breaux is a head-scratcher for me. i know he has been getting some love on this site lately, but not sure why. he's been in the league for three years and has missed more games than he has played. the last time he saw action in an nfl game was december 11, 2016. which also happens to be the only game in 2016 where he had a pass defended. he looked like he was going to be a good player in 2015 (his rookie season). but seriously, the last good game he had was 12/27/15. if we sign him to a prove-it deal, it better be a really low-risk proposition for the packers.

I'd still like to see them add House on another 1 yr. deal.....................but that may be why he's not already signed. He may be wanting something along the lines that T-Will just signed for.

At any rate, signing a couple of veterans helps with stability on/off the field, and means any CB draft picks and last years rookie CB's don't have to learn from trial by fire in a whole new defense.

To me, T-Will/House/Breaux would be a bridge to get from where they currently are, and closer to where they want to be under Pettine's new leadership of the defense.

breaux is a head-scratcher for me. i know he has been getting some love on this site lately, but not sure why. he's been in the league for three years and has missed more games than he has played. the last time he saw action in an nfl game was december 11, 2016. which also happens to be the only game in 2016 where he had a pass defended. he looked like he was going to be a good player in 2015 (his rookie season). but seriously, the last good game he had was 12/27/15. if we sign him to a prove-it deal, it better be a really low-risk proposition for the packers.

Can't disagree. Just threw his name in there because he's been mentioned here and on most "who's left" lists on websites. At this point in free agency I'm likely overstating the dollars on both of those guys. It's probably more likely that they get $1mil/1yr type deals at this point in free agency - which does make them low risks.

Back