Per NFL.com

Hi Moss or hi Perry

I hate to see anyone fired but Capers' defense hasn't been very good. I am thinking the same thing you are. MM will promote from within. My only hope is that whoever he might promote has some better ideas that Capers wasn't open to using.

It seems to me that if the defense wasn't working it's not just Capers at fault. It's his scheme but the coaches weren't able to help the players learn/implement it.

I was shocked after the loss to Seattle in 2014 that no defensive coach was let go.

Yes, hearing noise about Fangio coming to the Packers.

He'd be a good fit.

His 3-4 defenses in SF were tough defenses.

Yes, hearing noise about Fangio coming to the Packers.

He'd be a good fit.

His 3-4 defenses in SF were tough defenses.
If McCarthy is going to stick around (and I'm beginning to wonder if he's on his way out as well) then they'll need somebody to implement the 3-4 CORRECTLY. Fangio would be a nice start to the new hires!

If MM is on his way out, they will need a new HC first and then the HC picks his DC and coaching staff.

What if a new HC wants the Packers to run a 4-3 defense?

Fangio might not be the best choice then.

Many moving parts to this story.

I hate to see anyone fired but Capers' defense hasn't been very good. I am thinking the same thing you are. MM will promote from within. My only hope is that whoever he might promote has some better ideas that Capers wasn't open to using.

It seems to me that if the defense wasn't working it's not just Capers at fault. It's his scheme but the coaches weren't able to help the players learn/implement it.

I was shocked after the loss to Seattle in 2014 that no defensive coach was let go.

First bold - (a) what reasonable options are out there for somebody who isn't good at their job, and (b) how much did he make while not doing it? My level of compassion for the firing is really, really low.

Second bold - whose job is it to make sure the right position coaches are there to teach the right stuff to the players?

Not being snarky, just saying this was deserved.

Back