Packers will hire Pettine as defensive coordinator

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packer Football' started by Mark Eckel, Jan 9, 2018.

1. realitybytes

realitybytes Member

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 0
    well, not exactly the message i had in mind, but yeah.

my main takeaway was that maybe his defense isn't as complicated as we have been led to believe.

2. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 0
    In a round about way that’s also my way of being a little more positive about his record. He wasn’t ready to be a HC in Cleveland, and the D suffered for it even though that’s his specialty. As a HC there’s a lot more responsibility than just focusing on one part of the team and not everyone can do it. Plus CLE is such a dumpster fire under Haslam, who can really tell?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. kingkoopa

kingkoopa Member

Ratings:
    +382 / 3
    Compared to Hue Jackson(who is still somehow employed), Pettine is Vince Lombardi

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Crease Creature

Crease Creature Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +609 / 2
    If you guys want a glimpse of what Pettine's defense looks like, watch the Badgers D under Leonhard.

Jimmy was a player for Pettine in Baltimore (2008), New York (2009-11), Buffalo (2013), and Cleveland (2014).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 0
    Hm, good call. I think we are going to see GB prioritize a smart/savvy ILB/S type in FA or the draft. Seems to be required to run this D

6. realitybytes

realitybytes Member

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 0
    i think we might already have that guy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crease Creature

Crease Creature Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +609 / 2
    Speaking of...
    Wilde: For lack of a better team, Mike Pettine looks like a bad ass.
    Jim Leonhard: He is…. He demands a lot of his players and has expectations for what football should look like. Does what wins.
    #Packers #Badgers

• Like Like x 3
  8. Mark87

Mark87 Carpe Diem Admin

Ratings:
    +2,001 / 0
    That was with the Jets... It's a very complex Scheme. He only spent a yr in Buffalo and left. Wasn't long after that that Marrone quit in Buff which from what I read people partially blamed on Pettine's poor relationship with the players. Not saying it's true but it's out there.

9. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 0
    Maybe Blake’s the guy, maybe he isn’t. Can’t hurt to get some vet leadership in the middle of the D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Backthepack4ever

Backthepack4ever Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0
    I really think fans say they wanted fangio and bradley is bc the names are more well known. Pettine has had success just like those guys.
    Nothing against those guys but i dont see them light years ahead of pettine. Everybody gonna nitpick anx look for negitives bit this is a guy thats run multiple front defenses with high success. He id higher energy then we are used to and should be fresh and hungry to get back at it

• Like Like x 4