Packers to re-sign Don Barclay

Just because he's signed, doesn't mean he's on the roster next fall. If the guarantees are small, he just becomes a camp body and if he shows something he might stick. If not, see ya.

This won't change the draft. I suspect TT still takes an OT in the draft, so there is no harm in bringing Barclay back to have a look at whether he'll be better in year 2 after the ACL.

My thoughts exactly. The signing is probably a cheap one with little risk. He's by no means a lock to make the roster IMO.

Not excited about this but we will see what we will see. I too am expecting the Packers to draft OL....Just hope they don't wait until the 5-7 round to do so.

I guess the thought is to give Taylor/Barclay one last chance to make the jump, since there is likely to be openings next year. Still...since we are obviously going to draft some linemen this year, and we already have eight now...

Would have been a natural time to cut ties with Barclay and Taylor and let the rookies and Tretter backup the line past the top 5. Still, can't imagine Barclay even makes it if he doesn't really impress in camp.

Not a hell of an investment in a billion dollar business

So Barclay gets no guaranteed money in a one-year, $700,000 deal that includes a $25,000 workout bonus with a $675,000 base salary. Hopefully his 2015 season debacle was a result of returning from his 2014 injury and he bounces back to become a reliable backup. Frankly, I give him a less than 50% chance of making the team, costing the Packers only $25,000. (Using "Nutbush" math, that's less than the cost of six beers on game day!)

Last edited:
I might have stretched it a bit Oak. If I could get what they do for beer I would have retired after 5 years in the business.

I might have stretched it a bit Oak. If I could get what they do for beer I would have retired after 5 years in the business.
It's good to see you guys still together. You know what Oak and Nut, I should just come back as PackerShrine, keep the gang connected. Nut could continue to write his juicy Packer Poems for us.

Here am I on topic:
OMG, can you get a cheaper offensive tackle signing? I mean, isn't Don Barclay the very bottom of the barrel, the truest turnstile in the NFL?
Thompson is so cheap it's off the chart. He's sooo flippin' cheap that he'd marry a skinny girl so he could buy a smaller ring.

It's good to see you guys still together. You know what Oak and Nut, I should just come back as PackerShrine, keep the gang connected. Nut could continue to write his juicy Packer Poems for us.

Here am I on topic:
OMG, can you get a cheaper offensive tackle signing? I mean, isn't Don Barclay the very bottom of the barrel, the truest turnstile in the NFL?
Thompson is so cheap it's off the chart. He's sooo flippin' cheap that he'd marry a skinny girl so he could buy a smaller ring.

LOL, they know how to write contracts Shrine!

Back