Packers statistical breakdown: Pressure

M

Mark Eckel

By BOB McGINN

Note: One of a series wrapping up the Green Bay Packers’ season from a statistical standpoint. All statistics were recorded and tabulated by me. Stats from playoff games were included in previous seasons.

In 2010, the Packers’ last championship season, they totaled 240 pressures, which are defined here as the total of sacks, knockdowns and hurries. Since then, their totals have been 184 in 2011, 202 in ’12, 171 in ’13, 218 in ’14, 210 in ’15, 213 in ’16 and 162 in ’17.

The total of 162 this season is the lowest for a defense in Green Bay since a Bob Sanders-coordinated unit finished with 142 in 2008.

Clay Matthews led the team in the vital category of pressures with 30. Rounding out the top seven were Nick Perry, 26 ½; Mike Daniels, 19 ½; Kenny Clark, 18; Ahmad Brooks, 14 ½; Kyler Fackrell, 12 ½, and Dean Lowry, 11.

Following, in order, were Reggie Gilbert, six; Blake Martinez, 5 ½; Jake Ryan, three; Josh Jones, 2 ½; Quinton Dial, Davon House, Quinten Rollins and Kentrell Brice, two; Morgan Burnett, 1 ½; Montravius Adams, Vince Biegel and Chris Odom, one, and Joe Thomas, one-half.

The sack totals were Matthews (7 ½), Perry (seven), Daniels (five), Clark (4 ½), Fackrell (three), Lowry (two), Jones (two), Brooks (1 ½), Gilbert (one), Martinez (one), Ryan (one), House (one) and Thomas (one-half).

The Packers had 42 knockdowns (sacks not included), 18 fewer than in 19 games last season. Matthews led with 10, and rounding out the top five were Perry (nine), Daniels (six) and Fackrell and Brooks, each with four.

The top five in hurries were Matthews (12 ½), Clark (11 ½), Perry (10 ½) and Daniels and Lowry, each with 8 ½.

As a unit, the defensive line had 51 ½ pressures, an increase from 48 ½ in 2016 but a decrease from 68 ½ in ’15. The linebackers registered 100 ½ pressures, a decrease from 149 last year, and the defensive backs posted 10, a decrease from 15 ½ last year.

Coordinator Dom Capers blitzed five or more on 31.2% of passes, which was an increase from 27.3% last season but a decrease from 36.3% in 2015. Capers’ lowest blitz rate in his nine-year tenure was 27% in 2009, his first season; his highest blitz rate was 42.2% in 2011.

The Packers rushed six or more on 5.7% of dropbacks, an increase from 4.5% last season but down from a Capers-high 7.3% in 2015.

When the pressure included five or more players, Capers blitzed inside linebackers 88 times, safeties 66 times and cornerbacks 33 times.

The most effective rusher from the secondary (minimum 10 blitzes) was Rollins, who had one pressure every five snaps. He was followed by Jones, one every 8.8; Burnett, one every 16.7, and Damarious Randall, none in 18.

At inside linebacker, Ryan had one pressure every five snaps compared to Martinez’ one every 11.8.

The Packers batted down a mere eight passes, a sharp decrease from 20 last season and their low since 2013 (seven). Brooks led with two, and six players each had one. Among those without any were Daniels and Perry. Matthews, who was among those with one, had 21 in his first eight seasons.

When Johnny Jolly posted 11 bats in 2009, the team announced it was a club record.

The post Packers statistical breakdown: Pressure appeared first on Bob McGinn Football.

Continue reading...

Based on statistics, this whole idea of sending Matthews packing because he's not productive enough, might not be a good idea. From what I see, in these stats, he's far and away the better option on the wing than anyone else.

I realize the issue is salary cap room, but in all honesty, do we save enough that someone who will produce less, would be a better option?

Good report by McGinn.

Based on statistics, this whole idea of sending Matthews packing because he's not productive enough, might not be a good idea. From what I see, in these stats, he's far and away the better option on the wing than anyone else.

I realize the issue is salary cap room, but in all honesty, do we save enough that someone who will produce less, would be a better option?

Good report by McGinn.
That's why everybody has us drafting pass rush in this draft. You can go get 1 top notch and 1 solid pass rusher and be ahead of the value chart. Remember you have x amount to work with. Spending it all on 4-5 guys is why we are in this mess.

That's why everybody has us drafting pass rush in this draft. You can go get 1 top notch and 1 solid pass rusher and be ahead of the value chart. Remember you have x amount to work with. Spending it all on 4-5 guys is why we are in this mess.

No doubt about it, cutting Matthews makes sense from a cap perspective. The same would be true of Nelson and Cobb. Matthews wouldn't cost anything as far as dead cap space, but Nelson and Cobb would. Still, around $24 mill if you cut all three is a lot of money.

Here's the link to cap space. You'll notice that Thompson's not spending money has given us around $21 mill even if we kept all three. Packer Cap

I'm glad I'm not making those decisions in GB. Someone is going to be unpopular, no matter who you cut, or don't cut.

Back