Packers sign TE Martellus Bennett

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...-Packers/b5b93b20-dcdf-430c-a4dd-6eb1102b8c3a

Martellus Bennett spent his 30th birthday in Green Bay Friday, hoping to find a potential fit with the Packers.
After meeting with the coaching staff and touring the facilities, it quickly became clear to the former Pro Bowl tight end that Green Bay is where he wanted to play.
“I’ve been fortunate to play for several historic franchises,” said Bennett shortly after signing.

“Just the history and the legends that played here – to step on the same grass that they did and the same locker room they did, wearing the same uniforms as a lot of those before me have worn is going to be pretty cool.”
The 6-foot-6, 275-pound tight end started his career with Dallas in 2008 before stops with the New York Giants, Chicago Bears and New England Patriots, where he won a Super Bowl ring this past season.
Bennett had 55 receptions for 701 yards and seven touchdowns in 16 regular-season games with New England. He also caught five passes for 62 yards in the Patriots’ 34-28 overtime victory over the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI.
In his nine NFL seasons, Bennett has caught 403 passes for 4,287 yards and 30 touchdowns. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2014 after catching 90 passes for 916 yards and six touchdowns with the Chicago Bears.
Bennett had several encounters against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers during his three years with Chicago. Even watching from afar last year, he came away impressed with the Packers’ culture and the dynamics of the offense.
“I wanted another chance to make a run at it,” Bennett said. “I want to be in a situation where I could win again right now. I have that victory taste in my mouth and I want to taste it again.
“Watching the Pack last year, I saw some things with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback and Jordy Nelson outside, Randall Cobb and all the talent on the team, I thought it would be a great place for me to come in and just try to add onto what they already have.”
After catching passes from Tom Brady last season, Bennett is now excited to get chance to work with Rodgers, whom he spoke to shortly after signing with the Packers.
“I hated playing against Aaron,” said Bennett with a laugh. “I just got off the phone with him, I said, ‘I hate that guy on the other side,’ but it’s going to be pretty good to be on the same side with him and catching passes. I’ve seen him make a lot of amazing throws and he’s been one of the best for a really long time. I’m just going to try to come in and contribute to the best of my ability.”
Bennett has played a few games inside Lambeau Field as an opposing player. He fondly remembers it for its unique atmosphere and good playing conditions.
“It’s always been one of the best places to play in the NFL with the fans and the grass is always good there, which is a huge thing, as well,” Bennett said. “It’s always been a hostile environment as an away team. It’ll be good for them to be rooting for you instead of against you because that crowd gets crazy.”
One of the factors that played into Bennett’s decision to sign with Green Bay is the fact he still maintains a residence in Chicago, a short three-hour drive from Lambeau Field.
All things considered, it wasn’t a bad way to celebrate his 30th birthday.
“It was pretty good,” said Bennett of his birthday. “I get to go home and celebrate two things: being a Packer and my birthday, 30th birthday.

Solid replacement for Cook who is moving on. Better blocker and has a mean streak GB lacks.

Not entirely shocked by this one, as we did explore trading for Bennett last year and the interest seemed mutual. He values playing with great QBs, obviously.

But I always thought familiarity would win out and we'd end up with Cook, who is even more athletic than Bennett and showed flashes of explosiveness last year. But when the news started leaking out that we were at an impasse, I started to get worried.

I'm happy with this move, nice job Ted.

Bennett is not as explosive as Cook. For example I don't think he has the wheels to make the play Cook made at the end of the Dallas game. However I think he's a more consistent receiver overall and a much better red zone guy. Blocking on another level.

should be a good signing

Wow, did not expect this! Bargain basement deal for a really talented TE. 3 yrs /21 million

Agree, this is a solid signing. Has been more consistent throughout his career than Cook. I would like to have seen Cook back based on last year, but Bennett is definitely a solid replacement. Hopefully Ted can snag another TE in a deep draft.

How is this action going to impact the Packers sites that seem to have a running thread along the lines of "oh, oh, they released a guy whose name I know, we have to sign him!"?

How is this action going to impact the Packers sites that seem to have a running thread along the lines of "oh, oh, they released a guy whose name I know, we have to sign him!"?
Some of the stuff I read this morning is completely cra) , of course this has been the most venomous homer off season I have seen in at least 5 yrs on some of those sites. Kind of odd really.

WOW! When I saw this signing on NFL.com, I had to click on it twice just to make sure I was reading it right. Bennett to the Packers. The guy is a beast. Better hands, better blocker, and tougher than Cook.

I just looked into my crystal ball and saw Demarius Randall's future this summer:

Back