Packers sign TE Lance Kendricks

GBP4EVER

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
Packers sign TE Lance Kendricks. He was drafted in 2011 out of UW by the Rams. Spent the last 6 seasons with them before being cut this week by them. Is the second TE signed in as many days by the Packers.

Though with these signings they are still both short term fixes. With this draft being deep at TE. You still have to draft one in mid rounds to develop as a long term solution. Though the Kendricks signing pretty much shows the door to Richard Rodgers.

Well, TE is fixed. No "need" to take one in the draft, but I suspect they will if the opportunity is there and even with that, don't rule out Rodgers as a 4th guy. TT keeps odd position numbers some years. They have kept 4 TE's before. Not saying they should or will keep 4, just that TT has done it before.

This all fine but it does not make us better. We lost Cook and we replaced him with Bennett. Pretty much the same.

We have done nothing else. This team has not gotten better. It has gotten worse with the loss of Lang, Tretter, and Hyde.

Anyone have contract numbers? Can't imagine TT spent that much on him. Which is fine for a TE2...

At this point, now the Gb has lost Lange, TT can't afford to use a draft pick on a TE... Too many other big holes in this roster. TE is off the board.

I don't think TE is off the board. MM loves the TE position. It is also a position that can translate to special teams well. We've kept four before and MM loves himself those special packages that create the mismatch. Wouldn't surprise me to see a TE in the 4-5 round area.

Agree with Dubz. I don't think TE is off the board, partly because I don't think TT sees the holes as we do. Let's look by position:
QB: TT figures we are 3 deep and OK there.
RB: TT probably re-signs Lacy and figures he OK there, but will keep RB on the board.
FB: Good. Off the board.
TE: TT has what he needs for the moment, but likely Kendricks has a short deal and Rodgers is a FA in 2018 so keep TE on the board.
WR: TT figures he's 6-7 deep there so has no need but he'll keep in on the board, but not a need at all.
OL: I suspect TT thinks he just drafted 2 guys last year so having 2 guys walk is not a big deal. He'll keep the position on the board, probably sees it as a minor need, but I don't think he sees it as a priority.

S: I think TT likes his UDFAs from last year so will just go with what he's got.
CB: Again, I think we fans see it as a huge hole that needs 2 guys. I think TT feels he has two recent high picks, a serviceable guy in Gunther, and Goodsen coming back. I'm sure he has it high on his board but would not surprise me if he goes with just 1, while the rest of us are mocking 2.
ILB: I see it as a need but suspect TT figures he's got 2 draft picks in Ryan and Martinez, plus Thomas, and maybe CM3. Again, I think he keeps it on his board but not a need.
OLB: Even if TT signs Barwin, I think he sees pass rusher as a premium position and will take one if he can.
DL: I think TT figures he's got Clark at NT and Daniels as solid starters and Guion and Lowrey as depth. He'll keep it on the board as a need but not as a priority, unlike the fans.

So, from TT's perspective, he "needs", CB, OLB, DL, OL, TE, RB. Six holes and 8 picks.

From my perspective it would be: CBx2, OLB, ILB, DT, DE, RB, OL, TE. Nine holes and 8 picks.

Lance Kendricks' deal with the Packers: two years, $4 million including a $1.2 million signing bonus. Base salaries are $800,000 this season and $1.25 million next season. He has per-game roster bonuses of $18,750 in each season, up to $300,000 per year, and $75,000 in workout bonuses each year. There's also $600,000 in incentives and escalators for 2018

Back