Packers set Coaching Staff for 2016/17 Season

It is amazing to me how much some fans seem to hate McCarthy but give Holmgren a pass for almost the identical record. Mike M will be missed after he retires, even by his severest critics.

Much of that has to do with the prevalence of social media and the internet as well as the fact that Holmgren took over a franchise that had struggled mightily over the years. I don't think fans, "hate" McCarthy, but instead view him as a good coach, rather than a great coach. If you want to argue that coaching is all about regular season record, then you have to concede that Mike Sherman was a fantastic coach as well.

I too heard Jordy and Randall wanted Getsy so that's good enough for me. ch(

Well, they're familiar with him. If someone gets promoted at my office and I like them personally, I'm going to be happy for them and think my boss made a great hire. If however, my boss hires a guy outside of the office to come in, I'm going to be skeptical initially. Them liking the hire doesn't mean a whole lot.

Here are a couple.

For the record, Getsy is just the kind of guy that gets hired for these type of positions.

About Luke Getsy from his Bio on packers.com: After his playing career at the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Akron, Getsy was a graduate assistant for the Zips (2007-08). In 2009, he was the offensive coordinator at West Virginia Wesleyan. He returned to Pitt to serve as an offensive graduate assistant in 2010. From 2011-12, Getsy was the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, and in 2013, he was the wide receivers coach at Western Michigan.

Well, I said that I BELIEVE that the hire is going to turn out bad, not that I KNOW the hire is going to turn out bad. I'm not miss Cleo and I don't pretend to be. He might turn out to be a fantastic coach, who knows. I'm just giving my initial opinion. I also don't hate MM, I just think he's a pretty good coach, and not an outstanding one. Much of his success is due to Aaron Rodgers, just like much of Sherman's success was due to Favre.

Well, I said that I BELIEVE that the hire is going to turn out bad, not that I KNOW the hire is going to turn out bad. I'm not miss Cleo and I don't pretend to be. He might turn out to be a fantastic coach, who knows. I'm just giving my initial opinion. I also don't hate MM, I just think he's a pretty good coach, and not an outstanding one. Much of his success is due to Aaron Rodgers, just like much of Sherman's success was due to Favre.

My apologies then for misreading your intent. Can I ask what you knew about Getsy other than that he was the QC coach for 2 years prior to this hiring? I think that he has a fairly strong resume for the job.

As far as success of the coach due to the QB, I agree whole heartedly. There aren't many successful coaches in todays game that don't have a very good QB.

Well, I said that I BELIEVE that the hire is going to turn out bad, not that I KNOW the hire is going to turn out bad.

Actually, you said:

Boo hiss. The Packers needed a REAL WR coach with a reputable background to fix this unit. Not another internal hire.

Sorry, but maybe I'm a bit OCD.

Last edited:
Frankly you both (eye) took his meaning out of context. Beyond that is there really a need to point out what he said or didn't say ??

Let me make this crystal clear for the 100000th time to every member reading... The Packers organization is fair game here coaches players all of them. Let's get back on topic and get off of the he said..she said posting. Thanks

I was answering Half Empty's question. Nothing more nothing less. I try not to bash opinions rather argue my point for the most part.

Actually, you said:

Sorry, but maybe I'm a bit OCD.

Right, that's my opinion. Sorry to everyone who mistakes my opinions for me being SURE of something. I just have a strong way of expressing myself when I'm passionate about something. In the future I'll use IMO or JMO.

Eye catcher, I'm at work right now so I can't type out a lengthy response. Ill respond later this afternoon/tonight

I did not take his meaning 'out of context'.

It's irrelevant and trite.

I was just joking around a bit.

I rather thought I tried *several* times to get the convo back on topic.

Of course the Packers organization, the players, the coaches are fair game.

So perhaps the folks who are still (after YEARS) bitch complaining about Holmgren and such could maybe up their game.
ok my bad then....

My apologies then for misreading your intent. Can I ask what you knew about Getsy other than that he was the QC coach for 2 years prior to this hiring? I think that he has a fairly strong resume for the job.

As far as success of the coach due to the QB, I agree whole heartedly. There aren't many successful coaches in todays game that don't have a very good QB.

I knew he coached a little bit in college, but only one year at a reputable school(Western Michigan 2013). I just wanted a guy with more experience, and I think we needed that. Many of his stops were as a graduate assistant, rather than a position coaching job or a coordinator role.

Be honest, have you ever heard of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, or [BCOLOR=rgb(251, 251, 255)]West Virginia Wesleyan[/BCOLOR]? I think we could have done better for a position that may make or break next season. JMO

I'm just glad to see Van Pelt back solely in charge of the QB's and a separate WR coach. Still wonder why Bennett and Clements seem to have the same job title ?

I'm just glad to see Van Pelt back solely in charge of the QB's and a separate WR coach. Still wonder why Bennett and Clements seem to have the same job title ?

Bennett was a VERY good RB coach, then WR coach. A real stickler for details and doing "the little things" that each position excelled at under his tutelage. I'm sure they promoted him to OC so that another team couldn't grab him, but I really wish he would be OC/WR coach and get that position back to excellent routes, minimal drops AND all on the same page with AR.

Glad to see ya posting Packerchick :)

Back