Packers set Coaching Staff for 2016/17 Season

Names please. Who? And I'll save you the effort. Not James Lofton And not all former players are good coaches.

Often the best players don't make the best coaches - kinda like the A student not being a good teacher. Often for the superior player/student everything came easily for them and they don't understand why that doesn't happen for everyone else.

Last edited:
No the fan base is spoiled. Let's compare McCarthy to Holmgren. And just Holmgren time in GB
Holmgren win percent 67%. McCarthy. 65%
Playoff record : Holmgren 9-6. McCarthy 8-7

Bottom line very comparable records and you can argue Holmgren had more talent and his QB did not miss one game. But did we see this level of angst with Holmgren? No. If McCarthy is so incompetent then Tomlin and Payton must be pitiful. Just compare the records. Let me again state I get the win now or else culture. But when you step back and look McCarthy has been a very good HC

It is amazing to me how much some fans seem to hate McCarthy but give Holmgren a pass for almost the identical record. Mike M will be missed after he retires, even by his severest critics.

I too heard Jordy and Randall wanted Getsy so that's good enough for me. ch(
Do they want him because they think he's good or because they know he's inexperienced and they can walk all over him and get what they want out of him?

If it were other guys, I'd worry about that, but Jordy and Cobb don't strike me as the sort who just want an agreeable "yes" man as their coach. Do they strike you as selfish prima-donnas? They don't seem that way to me.

After last season I'm sure the entire WR corp wants the best coach available to help them all improve. Getsy isn't some snot nosed kid coming in off the streets either. He has paid his dues working through college jobs and into his roles with the packers. I think he will be fine.

Even if Jordy and Cobb wanted Getsy, it's going to be his work with Adams, Janis, Abby and Ty that's going to make or break him. Like Nutbush and others allude to you can be fairly certain Jordy (and Cobb), who have experience with Getsy, would only endorse a coach they knew can deliver.

Listened to a Ben Sirmans interview this morning. Wow, seems like he has a great plan, sounds like a motivator. Says the right things! Here was my favorite: "He seems like a great person. You can tell and get the sense that he’s very hungry this year to really get ready to get after it." rofl( Too easy.

It is amazing to me how much some fans seem to hate McCarthy but give Holmgren a pass for almost the identical record. Mike M will be missed after he retires, even by his severest critics.

As with the request for specific posts relating to the WR hire, please identify some in this category. Obviously, there are going to be 'some' fans who support or reject any position you can imagine.

Just a guess, but I'd say a few of the reasons Holmgren's name doesn't get thrown around in your context are:

It's been 18 years. Many of us are concerned about the performance of the current team.

Pick the period you want, but Holmgren took over a team that was 1-5 in winning seasons before he took over. He was here for a total of seven years, won a Super Bowl and went to another. Prior to McCarthy, the Pack was 5-1 in winning seasons, won a Super Bowl in ten seasons.

As a win-it-all type, I most certainly don't give Holmgren a pass. If he'd won both SBs in seven years, probably. But losing that second one as a big favorite with his eye on the next job most certainly is still a very sore spot with me.

As with the request for specific posts relating to the WR hire, please identify some in this category. Obviously, there are going to be 'some' fans who support or reject any position you can imagine.

Here are a couple.

And what is wrong with change for the sake of change because of a dislike for Mcarthy?
Hiring from outside the organization brings in a new perspective. Hiring from within seems as if the team is giving a new up-and-coming guy a chance. I'm totally with the member who said, "Boo-Hiss," to this move.
Things are getting stale at 1265 and the fanbase is justifiably uneasy at this point. It's too bad the Coach didn't mix things up with some fresh blood.
That's my tc(
As has been mentioned here, we don't get paid millions to identify potential WR's coaches for the Packers. However, that doesn't mean we can't be disappointed/upset about the selection. We do know the Packers have a history under MM of promoting people from within sometimes to a detriment. I believe this is going to be another one of those times.
The idea that the Packers offered the position to qualified candidates and they all said no, is laughable. Many college coaches would jump at the chance to coach the pro's no matter who's on the roster. So, I'm not buying that the Packers had an exhaustive search for a top WR coach and wound up with Getsy. My guess is they mulled it over for a little bit, and found it easiest to promote Getsy since they're familiar with him already.
I'm not complaining about the assistant o line coach hire, because I think that's pretty much an irrelevant hire, but the WR coach was of the utmost importance. Arguably the most important vacancy that they had and they simply botched it. The unit was a complete disaster last season. Guys didn't run routes properly, and looked at times like they had no idea what they were doing on the field. They needed somebody who could come in right away and take charge of the unit. Somebody who knows what they're doing and has a lot of experience with WR's. I'm not putting down Getsy, but he's not the right guy for this job. period.

For the record, Getsy is just the kind of guy that gets hired for these type of positions.

About Luke Getsy from his Bio on packers.com: After his playing career at the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Akron, Getsy was a graduate assistant for the Zips (2007-08). In 2009, he was the offensive coordinator at West Virginia Wesleyan. He returned to Pitt to serve as an offensive graduate assistant in 2010. From 2011-12, Getsy was the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, and in 2013, he was the wide receivers coach at Western Michigan.

Back