Packers seeking more consistency from rookie punter Justin Vogel

Don Majkowski wore number 5 for a year. I'm not sure why they haven't retired Hornung's number yet but since they haven't maybe they never will.

Quarterback Vince Ferragamo also wore No. 5 in 1986, as did QB Willie Gillus (1987) and kicker Curtis Burrow (1988). Gillis and Burrow each played one game with the Packers.

Magic must have officially worn #5 for only a couple games. (See photo below.) Gillus was a replacement player that same year who played just one game. Interesting that three of four - Ferragamo, Gillus and Magic - wore #5 during the Forrest Gregg tenure, seeing that Gregg and Hornung were star players under Lombardi, and Lombardi was the person who *unofficially* retired Hornung's number! I'd like to know if there's more to that story. Burrow was brought in and lasted almost one game by Infante a year after Gregg got canned. Burrow missed two extra points and a FG before being pulled!
-3248202204565860237.jpg

Last edited:
Magic must have officially worn #5 for only a couple games. (See photo below.) Gillus was a replacement player that same year who played just one game. Interesting that three of four - Ferragamo, Gillus and Magic - wore #5 during the Forrest Gregg tenure, seeing that Gregg and Hornung were star players under Lombardi, and Lombardi was the person who *unofficially* retired Hornung's number! I'd like to know if there's more to that story. Burrow was brought in and lasted almost one game by Infante a year after Gregg got canned. Burrow missed two extra points and a FG before being pulled!
I searched high and low for a picture or video of him in #5 but I can't find one. Pro Football Reference has his rookie year stats listed with #5 then #7 each year after that. He played in 5 games his rookie year.

I searched high and low for a picture or video of him in #5 but I can't find one. Pro Football Reference has his rookie year stats listed with #5 then #7 each year after that. He played in 5 games his rookie year.
Here is video from 1987 season, Game 7: Bay of Pigs

Last edited:
Vogel had another pretty darn good game. Better average than last week. Averaged 49.3 yards on 7 punts. Only 18 total punt return yards. I'm thinking he's our punter. No need to bring in a challenger at this point.

Back