Packers Punter Peter Mortell a Challenger, Not Just a Nice Story

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Mortell a Challenger

When he arrived for the Green Bay Packers’ rookie minicamp, Peter Mortell was the ultimate feel-good story.
Mortell, an undrafted rookie punter from Minnesota, played at Green Bay Notre Dame High School, which is located just up Ridge Road from Lambeau Field. Moreover, his family has deep ties to the organization. Mortell’s grandfather, Jerry Mortell Jr., operated the game clock at the stadium for more than 30 years until handing those duties off to his son and Mortell’s father, Jerry Mortell III. While in high school, Mortell worked in the Lambeau Field press box. He had handed stats to many of the reporters who were asking him questions.
Stories are great. Production is better. Mortell graduated to the latter after an excellent performance in Friday’s victory over Cleveland.
“That’s what I want. I don’t want to be looked at as a story. I want to be looked at as an NFL punter, whether that’s here or somewhere else,” Mortell said after the game. “There’s no sentiment in the NFL. I don’t think the Packers brought me here because I’m a story. They believe that I can fight for a job. I appreciate that people are starting to take note of that. ‘He’s a punter and not just a local kid.’”
After an up-and-down training camp in which it appeared he’d fallen well behind veteran Tim Masthay, Mortell punted three times vs. Cleveland. His second one was a boomer that traveled 62 yards. The second pinned the Browns at their 4-yard line and led to a safety.

Read the rest on the link above.

I thought this was a good story and that he seemed to have a couple of really nice punts in the game. I'm not sure of how real of a chance he has to supplant Mad that but the competition has to be viewed as a good thing.

I like to see stories like this because it's an insight into to trying to make it in the NFL at a position where there is limited opportunities due to numbers. I hope his camp presence makes the position stronger through the competition and may the best man win.

his first punt was horrendous. just over 3 seconds hang time and something like 35 yards. but the next two were pretty good.

his first punt was horrendous. just over 3 seconds hang time and something like 35 yards. but the next two were pretty good.

I missed the first few punts but 3 second hang time is brutal. I thought it was interesting that he acknowledged that he wasn't a boomer but more of a directional punter who thrives from the 50 in. If he's gonna crack a roster, he'll definitely need to improve that part of his game.

He's a long-shot with the Packers, but has as real shot at someone's NFL roster, no doubt about it. More of an accuracy kicker than distance. Remember him punting for U-Minn a couple times and he hits it where you can't get good returns.

I missed the first few punts but 3 second hang time is brutal. ...

tweet from today's practice:

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 22m22 minutes ago
After a strong preseason game Mortell really struggled today. None of his final four had hang time of even 3.1 seconds.

From several practice reports he has struggled with distance and hang time. For every 1 good kick he has 2 or 3 bad ones.

Back