Packers promote Eliot Wolf and Brian Gutekunst, but Thompson says it's not about the future

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-8736849.0.jpg

The moves seem a logical step in a plan to replace Green Bay's current GM when he does eventually retire, but Ted says that's not why they were made.

The Green Bay Packers announced a pair of promotions to members of the team's front office on Monday, and the moves hint at the organization's succession plan for Ted Thompson when he does eventually retire.

First, Eliot Wolf was promoted to Director - Football Operations, a title formerly held by Thompson himself. Unless the two are serving as co-directors, this takes one of the titles off Thompson's plate and leaves him with the titles of Executive Vice President and General Manager.

Wolf's rise through the organization has been a fast and impressive one, as he earned today's promotion on his 34th birthday. Of course, Wolf learned the finer points of a football career from his father, former Packers GM Ron Wolf, but he remains a remarkable story. He joined the Packers' personnel department as a scout immediately after graduating from college, and has remained with the team ever since.

Wolf gets the new job after spending one season as Director of Player Personnel, which had him in charge of the scouting department for both college and professional players. Prior to that, he was the Director of Pro Personnel, a position which focuses on scouting players in the NFL, CFL, and other professional leagues.

Brian Gutekunst inherits Wolf's previous position as Director of Player Personnel. He moves up a notch from Director of College Scouting, a position which he held for the past four years. He has been in the Packers' college scouting department in various roles for the past 15 years.

This plan suggests that Wolf may indeed be the heir apparent to Ted Thompson, as he certainly would be the most likely internal candidate to take over Thompson's job if he were to retire. Team President/CEO Mark Murphy confirmed in February that "we have a plan" for what happens when Thompson calls it quits, and promoting Wolf once again suggests that he is a central part of that plan.

However, Thompson says that these moves are not a precursor to his retirement. In an interview with reporters during the NFL meetings today, he told Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that "We've been using these two guys in an advanced role for some time and now it's time we kind of acknowledged it."

Whether or not these promotions were made with an eye on the distant future or the two executives' immediate job satisfaction, it certainly sets up the Packers with appealing options to replace Thompson when he does inevitably step down. It also helps keep a person like Wolf happy, especially after he drew interest from numerous NFL teams with GM openings over the past year-plus.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

This "could" and I will use that term loosely have a couple different meaning's organizationally.

1. By promoting them you make it uber difficult for other teams to poach them without it being a full GM role. It also allows them to learn more of the business without having the GM "title" in GB.

2. Maybe Ted is tired and there is more going on inside than we thought.... If TT stays healthy and in good standing then he's here to 65 IMHO and then retires as GM and takes a consulting/Scout role in the NFL until 68.

Just my take tc(

PS

I still think something is off in the organization and it's being kept hush hush.

Last edited:
The one person who should also be mentioned in these conversations is John Schneider. He does have an opt-out clause in his contract with Seattle if the GB GM job ever becomes available, and he is a Wisconsin native.

The one person who should also be mentioned in these conversations is John Schneider. He does have an opt-out clause in his contract with Seattle if the GB GM job ever becomes available, and he is a Wisconsin native.
Always been the guy on my radar screen as well. It will be Murphy and the BOD that make the decision not TT, in reality you can read too much into this but it's interesting timing.

This "could" and I will use that term loosely have a couple different meaning's organizationally.

1. By promoting them you make it uber difficult for other teams to poach them without it being a full GM role. It also allows them to learn more of the business without having the GM "title" in GB.

2. Maybe Ted is tired and there is more going on inside than we thought.... If TT stays healthy and in good standing then he's here to 65 IMHO and that retires as GM and takes a consulting/Scout role in the NFL until 68.

Just my take tc(

PS

I still think something is off in the organization and it's being kept hush hush.

I think this is what we are doing. I don't know if we'll ever offer Ted's job to John Schneider after grooming Eliot Wolf all this time. Ted most likely will stay on until his contract is up in 2018.

Check out the SB ring on Eliot's ring finger of his right hand. ch(

It would be interesting to know if TT recommended these promotions or were pushed by the BOD. TT doesn't appear to me that he would want to give up any authority. But could be wrong.

2. Maybe Ted is tired and there is more going on inside than we thought.... If TT stays healthy and in good standing then he's here to 65 IMHO and that retires as GM and takes a consulting/Scout role in the NFL until 68.

Just my take tc(

PS

I think Ted may have some health issues.

I think this promotion pretty much have ends ant thought that the Packers will hire outside the team for their next GM unless by chance both of these guys especially Wolf takes a GM job with another team before Ted retires.

A few thoughts:
First I think the Schneider out clause is a bit overrated nice side story but in the big scheme of things who knows the exact verbiage. I s there compensation? A buy out? Negotiating window? I always get a bit leary of stories like this because of so many unknowns.
Second I don't think this is an absolute to Wolf getting the job but more, as Mark said gives the team some protection if another team calls. Odds he gets it 85%

If Wolf gets the gig not much changes. The formula like it or not works. Keeps the team competitive. Pro Shop sells merchandise. Sponsors happy. No tickets are not important. Waiting list is long. More importantly it's the Titletown project.

Latst but not least it keeps McCarthy safe for 2-3 years team will stress continuity.

One final thought. What is Wolf's philosophy with Rodgers? Will he be extended or Will it be time to rebuild. This to me will be the most interesting thing to watch

Maybe everyone reading too much into this? Makes for discussion in the slow off season though.

But this much do know. When that day comes and TT retires or whatever, if it's Wolf of Schneider, things will change slightly. In that we will see some free agents signed. Also think tighter leash on players not catching on cutting it being cut loose. Would also expect to see more trading.

IMO like Wolf. The year we went to the Super Bowl and had all the injuries, it was Wolf that had done the homework on players brought in and tried out.

Schneider had the luxury of lots of cap room for making errors on players and money to sign all of those players because Wilson had a bargain cap number. Now that Wilson is paid as a Franchise QB, will be interesting to see how he does on a level playing field.

Wolf on the other hand has had the benefit of seeing two different approaches and IMO could and would use the best of the two systems RW and TT used. No proof of course but more of gut feeling.

Back