Packers free agency: Morgan Burnett

M

Mark Eckel

By BOB McGINN

This is one in a series examining the Green Bay Packers’ unrestricted free agents. They can begin signing with other teams on Wednesday, March 14, at 3 p.m. They can formally negotiate with other teams for 48 hours before that.

MORGAN BURNETT

Position: Safety.

Last contract: Four-year, $24.75 million extension ($8.25M guaranteed). Signed on July 15, 2013.

Games/Starts (including playoffs): 113/113.

2017 playing time: 729 snaps on defense (69%); 24 snaps on special teams (5.7%).

Career statistics: 787 tackles (14 for loss), 76 missed tackles, 11 interceptions, eight forced fumbles, nine recovered fumbles, 77 passes defensed, 36 ½ plays allowed of 20 yards or more, 21 TD passes allowed.

Yearly grades: D-plus in 2010, C in 2011, B-minus in 2012, D-plus in 2013, B in 2014, B in 2015, B in 2016, B-minus in 2017.

2017 analysis: Veteran approaching ninth season seeking a rare third contract from the Packers. Hamstring and groin injuries cost him four full games and portions of two others. Injuries have increasingly cropped up in the last few years. Runs the show from the back end. Understated leader. Unselfish, team player. Demonstrated tremendous versatility in 2017, easily playing more snaps as a nickel back in the slot and as a full-fledged inside linebacker than he did as a strong safety. Shouldn’t be able to hold up covering down but he did. Declining athlete has distinct problems in space. Better against tight ends than wide receivers. Lacks ideal range as an over-the-top safety but maximizes the range he has left. Probably not as physical in the box as he once was but more than willing to stick his nose in there. Missed just three tackles, a career low and representative of vast improvement from 2013 (17 misses) and 2014 (14). Had worst season as a blitzer with just one pressure every 16.7 blitzes.

NFC scout: “I think they’re going to have to keep him because if they don’t then they’re really going to struggle in the secondary. And, he is a good player. He has (been injured), but their whole secondary has had quite a few injuries … He’s good physically, I don’t think he’s (great). He has a very good understanding of what’s going on. He doesn’t make a lot of plays but he’s solid. A lot of times with a safety that’s all you need. Their corners haven’t played very well so it puts more pressure on the safeties … The top safeties are at about $10 (million per year). He’s probably about the $6 (million) level if he’s healthy, which I think he is.”

NFC scout: “If somebody just wants a veteran presence. I wouldn’t think it (his next contract) would be high. He has made a heck of a career.”

AFC scout: “He’s still got something left. I like Burnett. They won’t re-sign him but I think they should.”

NFC scout: “Good player. Just limited. Line of scrimmage player. Can’t play in space. Little bit like (Kam) Chancellor. I’d keep him. He can play a lot of positions.”

The bottom line: One of the top three or four safeties in the market. If the Packers don’t make a legitimate attempt to re-sign him, and it’s likely they won’t, look for him to sign with another team in the first three days for about the number that Dallas safety Barry Church, also 29, received a year ago from Jacksonville (four years, $26 million, $12M guaranteed).

The post Packers free agency: Morgan Burnett appeared first on Bob McGinn Football.

Continue reading...

This is one of the better evaluations I've seen of an individual player. It addresses the highs and lows of his career, and points out how others in the game view him, as a player.

I find it difficult disagreeing with anything stated in this article. I even agree with the price, and whether or not he's signed, based on salary requirements.

This has to be the kind of research the Packers front office needs to address, and compare to other free agents out there, in determining a course of action.

Sportstrac has him much higher then the four years 26 million Church got they have him at 4 years just under 40 million. That could be possible he is the best safety on the FA market so some team with a hole at safety could throw stupid money at him. With the Packers limited cap space even if they release some players I can't see them wanting to invest 10 million a year in a 29 year old player who has injury issues.

This has to be the kind of research the Packers front office needs to address, and compare to other free agents out there, in determining a course of action.
I'm sure they do this and more. Bottom line is these scouts don't sign/write the contracts. I would sign Burnett at $6 mill immediately. I'd wish him luck at $10 million. In between would take more thought than I can give it.

I totally agree on him being worth $6 mill, but he is the best of the FAs out there, and someone is going to pony up the $10 mill, and he's going to head for the money. Can't blame him. Get it out front because he might not finish a 4 year deal.

There's usually a hefty number of solid DBs on the FA market every year, and a bunch more in the draft. This year? Not nearly as many as you'd hope. That's why he's going to strike it rich on the FA market.

I think we will spend our #1 pick on someone who can be of immediate help in our secondary. Someone who can play and learn as he goes. Anyhow, that's what I see happening if the right potential player falls to #14.

I totally agree on him being worth $6 mill, but he is the best of the FAs out there, and someone is going to pony up the $10 mill, and he's going to head for the money. Can't blame him. Get it out front because he might not finish a 4 year deal.

There's usually a hefty number of solid DBs on the FA market every year, and a bunch more in the draft. This year? Not nearly as many as you'd hope. That's why he's going to strike it rich on the FA market.

I think we will spend our #1 pick on someone who can be of immediate help in our secondary. Someone who can play and learn as he goes. Anyhow, that's what I see happening if the right potential player falls to #14.

If Derwin James is there at 14 he would be a no brainer to pick IMO.

James on my most trusted talent eval site thinks he will be a pro bowler and guy u build a secondary around.... IMO not saying he is, but has a chance to be in the vein of Nick Collins and a no brained pick IMO

Quentin Rollins will move to his natural position, S. He never had real CB speed to begin with.

Back