Packers Free Agency: Letroy Guion agrees to 3-year deal, per report

Guion's salary-cap numbers in the deal:
2016: $3,516,666
2017: $3,666,666
2018: $3,716,668

TT got fleeced by Guion's agent this is way overpaying a at best average player.

Hardly, with the lack of guaranteed money they can cut him at any time. He literally gets paid almost by the game. This is a team friendly contract and if he is a contributor the money is very reasonable.

Yup, this is a pretty team friendly deal. Those CAP numbers aren't bad if he's a solid contributor. They also have tremendous flexibility to let him go at any point with almost no ramifications.

Still with cap number of 3.5 million this year I think it makes odds slim to none that Raji will be back in GB this year. Raji knows this is his last chance to get multi year deal and some other team will give him 3-4 years probalby at 4 or so million a year.

Why does a $3.5 mil CAP number on Guion matter for Raji? It's not like we are strapped for CAP space. Even with a FA signing or two you can re-sign Raji and Crosby and a few others of our own and still be $10-15mil under the CAP.

I agree though that if someone throws a 4-yr $15-20mil deal at him, he's gone. Still, is anyone going to do that? As Mark and others have said, the draft is deep in DTs so maybe teams pass on Raji in FA, knowing there are cheaper options in FA.

Why does a $3.5 mil CAP number on Guion matter for Raji? It's not like we are strapped for CAP space. Even with a FA signing or two you can re-sign Raji and Crosby and a few others of our own and still be $10-15mil under the CAP.

I agree though that if someone throws a 4-yr $15-20mil deal at him, he's gone. Still, is anyone going to do that? As Mark and others have said, the draft is deep in DTs so maybe teams pass on Raji in FA, knowing there are cheaper options in FA.

Some team will offer Raji a deal. IMO Raji is a better player then Guion is and I think Raji can get and probalby beat the deal Guion got in FA. I see no way would Raji accept a 1 year deal from GB and I just can't see GB giving Raji a 3-4 year deal worth 12-16 million on top of the Guion deal.

Though I do agree the draft is deep and that's also were I dislike this signing as I think we could have found just as good if not better replacement for Guion in the draft who would have bene cheaper also.

Some team will offer Raji a deal. IMO Raji is a better player then Guion is and I think Raji can get and probalby beat the deal Guion got in FA. I see no way would Raji accept a 1 year deal from GB and I just can't see GB giving Raji a 3-4 year deal worth 12-16 million on top of the Guion deal.

Though I do agree the draft is deep and that's also were I dislike this signing as I think we could have found just as good if not better replacement for Guion in the draft who would have bene cheaper also.
Guion outplayed Raji. The guion deal was very team friendly. I think he gets more than a $500k signing bonus

Guion outplayed Raji. The guion deal was very team friendly. I think he gets more than a $500k signing bonus

Raji was playing very well earlier in the season at his natural position. IMO BJ is our only true nose tackle. Letroy is more a DE. I wonder if BJ got hurt later on? As a draft and develop team Ted is loathe to let former first round picks walk unless some other team offers Raji (and Perry) the moon.

Raji was playing very well earlier in the season at his natural position. IMO BJ is our only true nose tackle. Letroy is more a DE. I wonder if BJ got hurt later on? As a draft and develop team Ted is loathe to let former first round picks walk unless some other team offers Raji (and Perry) the moon.
But after the first six games BJ was getting shoved around pretty good. He would frequently get pushed 4-5 yards downfield and that can't happen to your NT. Guion was more consistent IMO and signed the team friendly contract. At BJs age and his inconsistent play....I don't see him cashing in anywhere. Like others have noted, this draft is loaded. He could very well end up back in GB on a one year deal.

But after the first six games BJ was getting shoved around pretty good. He would frequently get pushed 4-5 yards downfield and that can't happen to your NT. Guion was more consistent IMO and signed the team friendly contract. At BJs age and his inconsistent play....I don't see him cashing in anywhere. Like others have noted, this draft is loaded. He could very well end up back in GB on a one year deal.
Raji had a nagging groin injury that seriously hampered him since about week 6. It's possible, but far from certain some team looks at those first 6 weeks and thinks Raji can still become a star. When healthy and motivated, he's a rare 3-down biggie, and there's no question he's a better raw talent than Guion.

For GB, Raji's injury history and past motivation problems should prevent TT from handing him any significant guarantees. I'd be fine bringing him back on a 1-year deal, but would keep looking for/developing his replacement.

"When motivated" is always the key with Raji, and the fact that he's turned in some awfully mediocre seasons in contract years - when you'd expect him to be highly motivated - makes me question whether it's even possible to keep him motivated on a consistent basis. I used to hope that he'd get it someday, that the light would come on, but it never really has.

Can he be a player who's worth a $12-16 million longterm deal? Absolutely. But has he earned that kind of deal here in Green Bay? Absolutely not. He's had plenty of chances to prove that he's worth that kind of money, and he simply has never done so. If some other team wants to pay him that, good bye and good luck.

Back