Packers draft grade

lol - i agreed with both eyecatcher and rpiotr01. the problem wasn't the dl. yes it was. i'm so conflicted.
Exactly. They would get a sack, then Hyde would give up a 12 yard gain on 3rd and 11. Or Datone would take a stupid penalty and the drive would continue. The statistics didn't seem to match the reality, because it sure seemed like opposing teams had plenty of time to let guys come wide open. So- I like the Adams pick, he showed flashes and it is up to the coaching staff to bring that out in him. With anticipated improvement from Clark and Lowry I have a reasonable expectation of DL improvement. With a little more push up the middle, a return to health of Randall and Rollins, addition of King and Jones and the return of House? Yes, I think we're better on D.

Offense? Three RBs? Two WRs? Hmmmm. Didn't see that coming. I really like the first two RBs and think we will see them in action fairly soon. The two WRs tell me that the Janis experiment is over. Dupre catches the eye more than Yancey, but TT won't let Yancey get cut so I think both might make the squad. Cements Monty as RB and puts the rest on notice for the next year. Leaves Geronimo, Janis, Davis, Yancey and Dupre fighting for 3 spots? Kofi is a gem, IMO, pretty good athlete for 305 pounds. He'll be ready before we'd expect him to be.

In case you don't look at the other boards, it's not just you. :) Every time I see one of these threads anywhere, I was to post that we all know that what you say is true, but what else is there to talk about right now? By the thread title, it's clear what you're going to see, so if you don't want to play, go to another thread. I know this is one of those posts that going to come across as snarky just because the written word doesn't have the nuances, so I want to be sure you understand I'm not attacking your stance, just the fact that some of us find it enjoyable to throw out opinions, no matter how premature.

Please explain the point of this post ? Did I say "this thread is worthless and don't post your opinion ? Nope. Save this crap for the other boards you frequent.

It's understandable that people like to evaluate the picks. It's done all the time. You can't turn on any of the sports networks about them parading out their own version of how each team grades out. It's part of the game, and has been for a long time. People like to be Monday Morning QBs, because they get to rail against the decisions.

In some cases, it's fun. Like this year.... grading the Bears draft. A great big freaking "F," and everyone knows it. They traded up one spot, gave away solid picks, and took Trubisky? Are you kidding? Unless the guy is another Aaron Rodgers, these people need to go down as world class losers in the draft!

I think Mark, like myself, find it difficult evaluating talent at this point. What I find difficult is this. How do you actually rate each pick?

Do you base it on the guys the Packers drafted this year, regardless of round? Do you rank them against other guys in the same round? Do you rank them based on how you think they may perform as a Packer? There are so many options, and ways to view it.

I do like to grade the draft after the season starts. I do it based on contribution to the team. I don't try to compare a rookie coming in to someone like Matthews, or try to compare a WR to Nelson. I try to judge them on how much they are contributing, even if it's just on STs. I don't care about the round, I just care about the entire crew that's kept, as a unit of help, to the benefit of the team.

Someone told me, a long time ago, that anyone taken in the first round should be an instant starter. I told them they were nuts. You can't say that, and be right. If that was the case, Aaron Rodgers would have had to have been cut before we had a clue as to how good of a player he was.

I do like reading how people rate incoming players though. Especially when they put down information as to why they think someone can compete, or tidbits of information that we can all sometimes miss. If you read through this thread, you can see a lot of that useful information in a lot of posts.

That said, I still don't give grades out yet. It's kind of like making a "preseason all-NFL team." Really difficult to make the right choices.

The two WRs tell me that the Janis experiment is over.

maybe. but i think it's more likely the trevor davis experiment is over. janis has value on special teams. i think davis is gone, and they are hoping that one of these guys will stand out enough to replace him:

• dupre
  • yancey
  • mcaffrey

In my opinion, it's a question of "which two" stand out enough to be in the positions of Davis and Janis? Two will stay, two will go. It is possible that one of the newbies could end up on the practice squad.

Right now, the Packers are looking at this draft more as a rebuilding tool for depth, instead of a push for instant replacements on offense and defense. It's not a bad decision, but it won't show up as earth shattering great either, unless a couple of guys like Biegel & King step up and show they have earned field time on opening day.

I really don't have a problem with that idea, as long as their research was strong enough to show that the guys they drafted are "coachable" to a point that they can eventually earn a starting spot.

2015 showed us that without Jordy the WR group is mediocre. It makes all the sense in the world to churn through the bottom half of the WR depth chart looking for production. They found some with Allison last year, while Davis and Janis didn't come through. The draftees put all three guys on notice. Come through or you're gone. Team will be three deep at TE and probably 4 deep at RB - they're not keeping 6 WR again.

2015 showed us that without Jordy the WR group is mediocre. It makes all the sense in the world to churn through the bottom half of the WR depth chart looking for production. They found some with Allison last year, while Davis and Janis didn't come through. The draftees put all three guys on notice. Come through or you're gone. Team will be three deep at TE and probably 4 deep at RB - they're not keeping 6 WR again.
I don't know that we won't keep six WRs. After signing two FA TEs and all the talk about the two TE lineup? I think we're heading toward keeping 4 TEs, 6 WRs, 3 RBs and Rip at FB. (9 OL and 2 QBs) Our PS will be populated with guys ready to go, but I think they wanted to start a fire under some of our WRs. I still have a sneaky suspicion that Cobb is going to be trade bait a week or two into training camp. I know ARod loves him, but I just got this feeling.

I don't know that we won't keep six WRs. After signing two FA TEs and all the talk about the two TE lineup? I think we're heading toward keeping 4 TEs, 6 WRs, 3 RBs and Rip at FB. (9 OL and 2 QBs) Our PS will be populated with guys ready to go, but I think they wanted to start a fire under some of our WRs. I still have a sneaky suspicion that Cobb is going to be trade bait a week or two into training camp. I know ARod loves him, but I just got this feeling.

Cobb has an $8.6m salary this year and next, don't think anyone is going to trade for that. A TC cut is more likely for him - $3m in dead money v $9m cap savings. Can see him getting the Sitton treatment, especially if they have a mind to pay Adams before the season.

Cobb could be a cap casualty. No doubt about it. A #2 should be able to carry the team fairly well, if #1 goes down. He's never shown he can step up and be the primary receiver. He has always seemed to have had the tools, but it hasn't happened. He does better as #2.

I think the Packers look at Montgomery as being their #4 WR in a lot of sets, because he can slide in behind the QB, or move out on the flank. That would mean they could keep one less WR in their scheme. good point Dubz!

Cobb had one good year in 2012, one great year in 2014, and the rest have been pretty disappointing, looking at the numbers. With Hyde gone now he's going to have to earn his keep on ST and return punts again, no more hiding behind starter status.

Back