Packers DL Mike Pennel suspended 4 games for violating substance-abuse policy

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-8300522.0.jpg

The third-year defensive lineman will miss the first four games of the Packers' 2016 schedule.

At least for the first quarter of next season, the Green Bay Packers must make due without the services of Mike Pennel. The NFL has suspended the third-year defensive lineman four games without pay for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Pennel arrived in Green Bay as an undrafted free agent out of Colorado State-Pueblo. He played previously at Arizona State before comments he made on Twitter persuaded the coaching staff to kick him off the team. Concerns related to his departure from Tempe likely prevented him from hearing his name called on draft day.

However, prior to the suspension, Pennel did not have any issues with the Packers. He played in 13 games as a rookie and every game this past season, including five starts. Pennel seemed likely to receive a boost in play next year, as the team has yet to open negotiations with B.J. Raji while Letroy Guion appears likely to move back to nose tackle.

Though Pennel cannot participate in the first four games of the season, he can still practice with the team during training camp and play during the preseason.

[BCOLOR=#FFC20E]Jason B. Hirschhorn covers the Green Bay Packers for Acme Packing Company. He also serves as an NFL writer for SB Nation and Sports on Earth and is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America.
Follow @by_JBH[/BCOLOR]​

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

Arggg... I was hoping he would continue to improve or at least make a possible loss of Raji easier to deal with.

Bring on Ringo!

Sadly, there are some players who simply act like the NFL is just a job. I hope Pennel isn't one of them.

It's the time of the year I open PFT in the morning with trepidation - rarely any good news. cloud)

Whenever I hear about these drug suspensions, it reminds me of those kids who won the Golden Ticket, couldn't follow Wonka's rules, and screwed up their once-in-a-lifetime chance at a great and lucrative career.

Pennel cost himself $141,176 directly (if he makes the roster), and muuuuch more than that if he becomes a good player. He'll be RFA in 2017, and he'll have to play under some tender. No way we give a big extension with the possibility longer suspension hanging over his head. In 2018 the team may just puff puff pass on him.

Even if he gets a long term deal one day, here or elsewhere, he just destroyed his chance at significant guarantees. And when you have no guarantees, you have little leverage further down the line.

Geez, what is it about the Packers. Two straight seasons with this crap.

Pennell is a dope. Plus, the 4 games means this is not a first violation. Agree with above. Tough to commit to a guy who's next violation will result in missing even more games. Time for TT to hit the DL position in the draft.

The following are suspensions Green Bay Packers have received for violations of the personal or performance-enhancing (PED) drug policies dating to 1989:

Mike Pennel, 4 games, 2016

Letroy Guion 3 games, 2015

Datone Jones, 1 game, 2015

Jarrett Bush, 4 games, 2015

Mike Neal, 4 games, 2012 (PED)

Johnny Jolly, indefinite, 2010

Koren Robinson, entire season, 2006

Jude Waddy, four games, 1998 (PED)

Keith Uecker, four games, 1989 (PED)

Mike Ariey, four games, 1989 (PED)

4 DL in the past 3 years have been suspended per the drug policy... Nope nothing to see here, move along..... FP(

Back