Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

@TomSilverstein
·
44m

#Packers dropped seven spots to 29th in Bisaccia’s second season as special teams coordinator.
Said before it's time GB moves on from him. GB pays him a lot and bent over backwards with him having say in roster to improve ST and it still sucks. Let him move on if his contract is up and if not give him permission to find a new job if he wants to.

Obviously they want someone good and impactful. I think ML thought he was making the best hire possible when he hired Bisaccia. Obviously has not gotten the job done. Also curious if there is breakdown of which parts of ST were worse than others. In other words, was this because of the kicker/LS issues? Which would be a personnel issue. Or overall teams coverage, which I would put more on coaching.

Obviously they want someone good and impactful. I think ML thought he was making the best hire possible when he hired Bisaccia. Obviously has not gotten the job done. Also curious if there is breakdown of which parts of ST were worse than others. In other words, was this because of the kicker/LS issues? Which would be a personnel issue. Or overall teams coverage, which I would put more on coaching.
The Packers ST are much better than what they were. Not as much better, but better.

When special teams are bad for this long, I suspect it'll take more than a new special teams coach to fix the problem. It's likely a combination of talent and attitude from the FO to the PS. Everyone from Gute to ML to the position coaches needs to make it clear that special teams is a large part of what will keep you on the roster and get you snaps on offense and defense. Until that happens some guys will keep half-assing special teams responsibilities.

If kicker is issues is that on RB? I have a feeling because of his brother he was the one who wanted Carlson drafted in GB.

Years ago, a guy that I knew, who was good with STs at a kid's and HS level told me that the objective of a good ST coach is to coach kids up that have minimal roles on a football team, to make them feel as if they are important enough to gain playing time in the future. He said that you keep instilling in these kids the need to use it as a stepping stone, and that the other coaches will eventually recognize their dedication, and find ways to utilize them in other phases of the game.

If I was a marginal player on the Packer roster, I'd be working my tail off to be a productive member of special teams, so when they decide who goes, and stays, they keep my name on the list that stays. It's up to the coaches to instill that fire in them. Obviously, it isn't working.

I keep mentioning Cromwell for a reason. I can remember him running up to guys after a kick or punt return, or a punt, and giving them kudos for what they did. He was there with them, urging them on, to be better.

The last coach I saw on the Packer sideline that had that kind of fire in him was the late Kevin Greene, rest his soul. He played every down from the sidelines, with his personnel, and was constantly coaching those not in the game, as the game progressed. They were always fired up.

Packers release Kenyan Drake from the practice squad and sign David Long Jr to replace him.

Back