Packers’ injured players getting back to work

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
161003-burnett-950.jpg
GREEN BAY — Head Coach Mike McCarthy did not declare his team fully healthy following its bye week, but four defensive regulars who missed the last game vs. Detroit were expected to get back to work in some capacity during Monday’s practice.

LB Clay Matthews (ankle/hamstring), DE Datone Jones (knee), S Morgan Burnett (groin) and DT Letroy Guion (knee) all are in the early stages of assessing where they are in their recoveries as Sunday night’s home game vs. the Giants approaches.

“When we get done with practice today, I’ll have a better handle on where we are health-wise,” McCarthy said. “It looks like everybody is going to do something.”

One player still sitting out is CB Sam Shields (concussion), who is “improving” but has not been cleared to return to practice. Shields is working through his second concussion in a nine-month span after missing four games late last season with one. Shields’ latest concussion occurred in Week 1 at Jacksonville and he hasn’t practiced or played since.

“I think our medical staff has done a great job, and Sam has an excellent support group,” McCarthy said regarding Shields’ recovery and his future. “No stone has been left unturned. I think we have a very good handle on the why and how, and the process for him to come back.”

As usual after a bye week, Monday’s practice would be focused on fundamental drills and some competitive work. McCarthy said the coaching staff did an extensive individual review of each player’s practice and game film, and the evaluations were presented to the players when they returned Monday morning.

“We’re taking the approach today of self-improvement,” McCarthy said. “We want each player to have some substance from the evaluations.

“Today our emphasis is on the fundamentals and the things we feel we need to hit one more time before we get back into a normal work week preparing for the New York Giants. That in itself will make sure everyone is focused.”

Packers.com will have more following practice and locker room interviews.

b.gif

Continue reading...

Back