Official Week 2 Green Bay vs Atlanta Thread

Dang! Why is it so hard for some people to say that the defense played better last week? They did.

Don't know how they are going to play this week but I would rather look forward and be hopeful than be pessimistic. To me there is no point is watching if it's already been determined that the Pack will lose. Could they? Yes. Will they? I don't know. I'm going to watch and find out.pop(

There's been a lot of talk about the "Nitro" package. It was very effective against Seattle. It cut off passing lanes, and added a big asset in the middle of the field, against the run. How effective it is against the Falcons remains to be seen. They have a strong running game and passing game to contend with, and it often comes off play action.

They don't have that great of a running game. Last year they got 200 more yards than green bay on the season and averaged 0.1 ypc more than the packers. If I said Green Bay had a strong running game last season I'd have been banned from the site. They have a decent running game that averages 2.6 ypc last week. They gave up nearly 7 ypc vs. the bears. Their run game doesn't scare me. But that passing attack is a whole different thing.

I think what makes their running game scary or at least why ppl think it is elite, is bc of the passing to the rbs and the big play potential. They most certainly don't have a bell cow type back that can where you down all day like Bell or Zeke. what they have is 2 smaller guys can are used in the passing game and can rip a big play off

like I said before, Im not so worried about them running on us. They wont get anywhere near 150 yards on the ground. Im more concerned on how we will cover those guys coming out of the backfield. The Nitro package with Burney in the box makes it more of a favorable matchup

Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman will not be held down to the total we saw against the Vikings. They were the 5th best rushing team in the league last year. They'll have a decent games against GB.

If the Packers shut them down, it will have to be because they sold out to stop the run and the passing game will be a problem. I don't think 150 yards is what I'd go by though. I'd say anything above 125 is a solid game.

It's going to take more than the win against Seattle to convince me that all these years of horrible defense all went away with one game against Seattle.

Burnett is going to be a huge factor in this game, against both the pass and run. That's why I mentioned the Nitro defense. If it can stop the offense of the Falcons, we have something really special.

took a little flack this morning for suggesting that the packers starting offensive tackles against the falcons might be murphy and pankey. frankly i thought it sounded a little absurd too, but the notion came from some packer-fan website so i thought i would just pass it along.

then, tonight as i am reading various articles, i run across this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...tackle-without-bakhtiari-or-bulaga-in-atlanta

Packers could have trouble at tackle without Bakhtiari or Bulaga in Atlanta
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Sure, there’s a chance the Green Bay Packers might have their regular offensive-tackle combination, a duo they consider to be among the best in the league, for Sunday night’s NFC Championship Game rematch at Atlanta.

But there’s also the chance they might have one tackle who before Week 1 had played eight career NFL snaps and another who has never appeared in a game.

At this point, it’s the great unknown after right tackle Bryan Bulaga, who missed the season opener because of a sprained right ankle, went home with the flu each of the past two days; and after David Bakhtiari practiced only on a limited basis this week because of a hamstring injury he sustained when he accidentally did the splits late in Sunday’s victory over the Seattle Seahawks.

Second-year pro Kyle Murphy, he of the eight previous NFL snaps before this season, started in place of Bulaga against the Seahawks. He gave up one sack but otherwise held up OK.

Undrafted rookie Adam Pankey, who was on the practice squad until the Packers added him to the active roster Wednesday, would be the other starting tackle in the worst-case scenario. The Packers promoted him because fellow backup tackle Jason Spriggs sustained a hamstring injury on a special-teams play against the Seahawks and will be out indefinitely.

“It’s still early in the process," Packers offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett said after Thursday’s practice.
“We’ll just continue to go through the process. As of right now, we have two more days of preparations, so the injury, that part of it will work itself out by the time we get down to Atlanta. But we do have a plan in place. Bryan was out today with an illness, but hopefully getting him back in the building tomorrow and then continuing our preparations for Atlanta."

Bulaga actually returned to practice last week on a limited basis but was still held out of game action, and the Packers haven’t been able to test his ankle this week because of his illness.
“I don't really have a feel for Bryan because we haven’t worked him since I think Tuesday, or Monday, on his ankle,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Thursday. “So we’ve got to hopefully see where he is tomorrow and, but just speaking with Bryan this morning when he came in, you know, he was dehydrated and things like that. So, we’ll just take the week.”

Bakhtiari managed to finish last Sunday’s game without missing any snaps.

took a little flack this morning for suggesting that the packers starting offensive tackles against the falcons might be murphy and pankey. frankly i thought it sounded a little absurd too, but the notion came from some packer-fan website so i thought i would just pass it along.
Thanks for posting this. I suspect Bahk plays but with Bulaga being sick the last couple days and dehydrated I suspect he sits again. I think he's 50/50 at best. Still like Pankey in the gunner spot.

Last edited:
I hate to say this, but the whole issue of injured tackles, and no replacements, boils down to the Packers moving away from what used to be their bread and butter usage of offensive linemen.

Versatility was the key. Back-ups who could play more than one position, often three, or more. A guy who could play both tackles, and guy who could play guard and tackle, others who could play center and guard, often both sides. All kinds of combinations.

I think this totally went out the window when they let Tretter walk. He was the swing guy who allowed them to move him to guard or center, while moving a guard to tackle.

We could blame this on McCarthy and Thompson, but in this case, it's a little unfair. The culprit here is free agency and the money on the table out there, for guys to make the switch to other teams, and the fact that the Packers have taught them multiple positions makes them more attractive in bidding.

It's amazing how something you do right can come back and haunt you because it looks like you did something wrong.

In all honesty, I think people will see a Tauscher type player in Pankey. This kid has good hand speed, and was improving tremendously in his footwork. He just needs to add a little muscle, and he could be a quality NFL player.

Versatility was the key. Back-ups who could play more than one position, often three, or more. A guy who could play both tackles, and guy who could play guard and tackle, others who could play center and guard, often both sides. All kinds of combinations.

This is Pankey. I know he's raw but he played 3 different spots in college and by all accounts played them well.

i really hope you guys are right about pankey. hard to imagine that a guy like that went undrafted.

On D they're fast but not that big. I think you try to follow what the Bears did a little and run the ball and play with some power. This will also help if/when Murphy starts - in a loud dome on fast turf you want to wear them out a bit and not be on your heels right away. However, similar to Seattle's D you also have to attack them vertically a little to keep them honest. Don't want their Lbs and S constantly running at you with a full head of steam.

On D I don't think you can cover their guys for very long regardless of who you have, so the pass rush needs to at least be disruptive if they don't get home. Ryan is like Brady, he wants to work from that pocket so have to get in his face up the middle.

We shall see. It's certainly a good measuring stick of a game.

Back