Official Week 16 Green Bay vs Arizona Thread

Player 2 Player: Week 16 vs Arizona, by David Bobke

One week closer to the playoffs, and thank goodness we can officially look forward to that now. But first, a little excursion to Arizona for a battle with the somewhat surprising Cardinals.

Carson Palmer still has it, the ground game is alive and well, and their defense is very solid as well. This team has a legit shot at going to the Super Bowl. This is both a team you want to see the Packers play and a team that you don’t want to see the Packers play. On one hand, this is a team that will be a good challenge for Green Bay, one that’s very talented overall but still has its flaws, and we’ll see just where the Pack is as we start looking ahead to the postseason. On the other hand, this is a team that could drive us as fans crazy because the Cardnals could get off to a great start and get us all upset over the Pack’s offense and defense and the coaching and everything else ever. It could turn into an ugly week.

That all said, here’s the key matchups to look at during Sunday’s game:

Randall Cobb vs Patrick Peterson

Peterson is extremely good at covering wideouts. He’s going to the Pro Bowl again this year, and he might as well get himself a house in Hawaii because he’s sure to continue going there once a year for the foreseeable future. Frankly, Peterson is one of the first cornerbacks I would pick if I were starting my own NFL team. Cobb may be in for a long day.

Jared Abbrederis/Davante Adams/James Jones vs Jerraud Powers

Powers is the likely replacement for Tyrann Mathieu at safety. Mathieu was hurt last week and is done for the season. This means that there is fresh meat in the secondary for the Packers to attack via the passing game. We’d love to see Cobb be the guy to take advantage of that situation, but with Peterson likely to be shadowing him, I have to believe that one of the other receivers will be given the assignment of harassing Powers.

Will it be the most experienced of the receiving options, James Jones, to be given the duty of gashing Powers? Will Adams be given a chance to regain some pride that he may have lost a few weeks ago? Could Abbrederis be granted the chance to increase his role on offense and pull the secondary apart? Tune in Sunday to find out!

Packers O-Line vs the entire Arizona Cardinals defense

This is a point that needs to be made, but it can’t be isolated to one matchup. The Cardinals haven’t got a player with more than four sacks, but they have thirteen guys with at least one sack this year. The pressure will mount from every angle. David Bakhtiari and his buddies need to be clear with their communication if they’re going to keep Aaron Rodgers upright.

Carson Palmer vs Damarious Randall

Palmer isn’t afraid to take a chance now and again. He will throw the ball a ton, and with good reason. The speedy John Brown and now seemingly ageless Larry Fitzgerald are having very good seasons. Palmer has other targets that can and will do damage, and he’s said that his favorite receiver to throw to is “the open one” (I’m paraphrasing.) The Cardinals do well getting open, so it will not only be on Randall to cover receivers, but also to take advantage of those opportunities to get the turnover. He’ll likely get one or two of those chances in the game.

The Cardinals are 1st in the league in yards, and the running game has something to do with that, but make no mistake about it, they want to pass early and often.

Jeff Janis vs Patrick Peterson

No I’m not talking about offense! I’m talking punt returns! Janis has been unstoppable on special teams these last couple weeks, and he should be very valuable against a guy who can spring good returns on every punt. Love Janis or not, you have to give the man credit for the attention he draws from the gunner position.

Continue reading @http://titletownsoundoff.com/ ...

Pack wins the last two and Cards lose last two, Pack is second seed.
Pack drops two and Cards win two, Pack is fifth seed and plays NFC East champ.

I'm sure MM is all over these scenarios. He claims he knows where this offense is heading.....soooo,
I think he is already game planning for the Redskins!?!? Cards 31 Pack 27. Redzone deficiencies.

Hope I'm wrong, but the playoff road might last longer going through Washington DC and on to Carolina.

If Packers win and MIN loses this weekend then the last game doesn't matter. Which would be great because Packers have yet to win against a division opponent at Lambeau this year. And they have split series with DET and CHI...

Find a way to win this game.

If the Packers win then next week is more important because a win next week and a Cardinal loss next week to Seattle means the pack get the number 2 seed.

I just don't know what to think. If they get blown out or the offense doesn't show up until the 3rd quarter it will be all over but the crying.

Despite my frustration with the offense this team has found a way to win. It would be nice to see the offense clicking on all cylinders for once this season. It would be nice to see the running game get moving in particular Lacy but he has been hot and cold this season as well.

The defense and special teams have helped a lot but they can't do it all. AZ looks like a team that is on a mission. Hopefully it will be a good game.

We'll see. pc)

I'll be surprised if we win tbh. AZ is playing very well and we are not except in spurts. Even tho we made the playoffs I fear we will be one and done. Heck, I'm not even sure we'll take the division. :(

Important Number - 3, as in the number of teams with a winning record that GB has beat this year (SEA, KC, MIN)

And they've been struggling to get going against sub .500 teams... I just don't see how GB can keep up with ARI.. IMO any talk of a 2 seed is just hogwash. Nothing i've seen the last 4 weeks says they will beat ARI or that ARI will drop it's last two games.

Just hope you get out of this game without too many more injuries and focus on MIN..

Teams have known how to beat GB for awhile now. Problem is those sub .500 teams don't have the personel on DEF to carry that out. ARI does.

35-13 ARi wins

usa-today-8931662.0.jpg

Green Bay will likely be missing its top corner on Sunday, while their left tackle's status is very much in doubt.

On Christmas afternoon, the Green Bay Packers and Arizona Cardinals announced their injury reports for Sunday's week 16 matchup between the two teams. Each team has a reserve player listed as out for the game, while a couple of starters on both sides have statuses in question.

Packers Injury Report

The Packers will be without one key rotational piece on the front seven, and are in all likelihood going to be missing their top corner for a second straight game. The other serious injury this week is to left tackle David Bakhtiari, who has not practiced yet this week. He is listed as questionable for Sunday's game, but will probably need to participate in Saturday's practice in order to play.

It should come as no surprise that the other four starters on the Packers' offensive line are listed on the injury report, but thankfully all of them are listed as probable for Sunday.

Out

OLB Jayrone Elliott (quad)

Doubtful

CB Sam Shields (concussion)

Questionable

OT David Bakhtiari (ankle)
DT Letroy Guion (foot)
TE Justin Perillo (hamstring)

Probable

OT Bryan Bualga (ankle)
DT Mike Daniels (hamstring)
RB Eddie Lacy (rib)
G T.J. Lang (shoulder)
C Corey Linsley (ankle)
LB Clay Matthews (ankle)
CB Quinten Rollins (groin)
G Josh Sitton (back)

Cardinals Injury Report

The Cardinals, on the other hand, have a pair of starters listed as questionable - safety Rashad Johnson (who would likely be taking a bigger role with Tyrann Mathieu out) and defensive lineman Frostee Rucker. Running back Andre Ellington is also questionable, but he has seen rookie David Johnson take over the starting spot in his place, and with Ellington limited there is no reason to rush him back into a starting role.

There are a number of key players listed as probable, but none are expected to miss the game as all but quarterback Carson Palmer practiced fully on Friday.

Out

DT Josh Mauro (calf)

Questionable

RB Andre Ellington (turf toe)
S Rashad Johnson (ankle)
DT Corey Redding (ankle)
DT Frostee Rucker (ankle)

Probable

TE Jermaine Gresham (knee)
QB Carson Palmer (right finger)
CB Patrick Peterson (ankle)
CB Jerraud Powers (calf)
C Lyle Sendlein (knee)
DT Ed Stinson (shoulder)
LB Sean Weatherspoon (illness)

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

Back