Official 2016 Summer Olympics Thread

Discussion in 'All The Udder Stuff' started by Mark87, Jun 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PackerShrine

PackerShrine Moderator

Ratings:
    +97 / 0
    When Track & Field gets under way I'll start watching for sure.

2. 57packer

57packer 2017 Draft Guru

Ratings:
    +567 / 1
    That crash in the women's road race looked ugly - she was fortunate it wasn't worse. Really felt almost sick for the American woman who was following her. She is now out in front by like 30-40 seconds but she has to work on her own. She leads almost the entire last 10 miles or so, but a group of 3 riders catches her in the last 400 meters or so and she goes from gold medal to no medal just like that. Heartbreaker.

3. Cheesedog

Cheesedog Moderator

Ratings:
    +582 / 2
    Ya that was crushing.. Caught her in the last 100 meters in full sight of the finish line.. But she gave it her all that's all you can ask... But man that's gotta suck..

Team USA has 14 medals in swimming so far...

4. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Member

Ratings:
    +606 / 3
  5. Cheesedog

Cheesedog Moderator

Ratings:
    +582 / 2
    in the womens 800m free qualifier Katie Ledecky set a new olympic record.. And she didn't even kick the last 250m or so to conserve energy for the final..... Shocked(

6. Crease Creature

Crease Creature Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 2
    Colombian power lifter Figueroa wins the gold at the 62kg division, and in old wrestling fashion, leaves his shoes in the ring and retires.

7. Cheesedog

Cheesedog Moderator

Ratings:
    +582 / 2
    That's awesome

8. Crease Creature

Crease Creature Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 2
    http://www.theonion.com/article/michael-phelps-spots-estranged-father-poseidon-sta-53494

9. TW

TW Moderator

Ratings:
    +725 / 3
    I've enjoyed watching some of the competition. I was amazed by the pic that Reality posted. I'd hate to think that's what it looked like beyond the main beaches. I could see why there were fears about the waters in the bay.

I have been watching the Olympics since the 50s, and there are so many stories that I remember from the past. Some of them aren't good, like the Russians doping in the last winter Olympics to insure they won the most medals. Then there's the Chinese, using 12 and 13 year old children instead of 16+, as required by the rules in gymnastics, when the Olympics were there. Then, seeing those venues in China just a few years later, turning into something that should be bulldozed. How about the Koreans with boxing, years ago? It's the reason the punch stat was introduced. They had one boxer who landed one punch during three rounds, and won? This, despite being pummeled by his opponent? Then there's the Korean boxer that was technically knocked out by an American. The referee stopped the fight and they went to the score cards and a Korean win? Really? There was no foul. Then there's the East German swimmers. Remember them? They were so infused with male hormones that some people wondered if they didn't really "grow a pair." They were never stripped of those medals. Why? Politics.

I remember Russian gymnasts who would fall in competition, yet get amazingly high scores by "Soviet bloc" judges. Yup! They gave high scores to those competitors from behind the iron curtain, and real low ones to those from the West. They controlled the outcome, time after time.

There was a time when our athletes were pure amateurs. Kids from Wisconsin drove up to 100 miles each day, to practice for the skating venues in the Olympics. Nobody paid their way. In Russia, they were already pros. Always were. They were "military" employees. They got money to compete. They had all the best, and yes.... the finest enhancing drugs too. Yet, those kids from Northbrook, IL, and Wisconsin, traveling to an outside rink in West Allis, were so darned good, and so dedicated, that they could be the rest of the world, and take home the medals. That's gone. Olympic organizers decided they liked Colorado and upstate NY better. So... these kids aren't in the hunt any longer. Replaced by politics.

I still love the sports. I enjoy it all. I watch it all. I even feel good for people from other countries, when their story warrants it. I watched a girl from India take 4th in the pommel horse competition, and saw her face. Sad she didn't win a medal, but proud she competed. So close to a medal. The first Indian woman to ever compete in the Olympics. You have to admire what she did.

There's a lot to hate about it, and surprisingly, in the end, even more to like about it. If you don't remember "The Miracle on Ice," you aren't old enough to remember what it meant to us as a nation, and for our hockey programs. It changed the whole face of the sport in the US. These kids from our colleges beat the best damned professional hockey team in the world. The Russians. And, everyone knew they were that good.

Sorry! Just have a feeling for the games.

10. Cheesedog

Cheesedog Moderator

Ratings:
    +582 / 2
    Definitely a pretty cool Olympics so far... The top of this pic is ten years ago, a 9 year old Katie Ledecky meeting one of her Olympic heros Michael Phelps... The bottom pic, is 19 year old gold medalist Katie Ledecky and Olympic teammate and gold medalist Michael Phelps in Rio...
    [​IMG]