Official 2016 Green Bay UDFA Thread

My phone hasn't rang yet, but there's a couple of rounds left. hgh)

Don't tell anyone, but I'm retiring the second I sign my contract.

BYU linebacker Manoa Pikula has been signed as an undrafted free agent by the Green Bay Packers

UNI DB Makinton Dorleant is headed to Green Bay with the #Packers

Safety Kentrell Brice plans to sign with Green Bay.

#Packers have signed Wesley College QB Joe Callahan, source said.

CB Josh Hawkins of #East Carolina has signed an undrafted free agent deal with the #Packers, agent said.

#Packers have signed Mississippi State ILB Beniquez Brown, per his agent.

Brandon Burks RB Troy has agreed to terms with the Green Bay Packers.

confirmed with the agent that #Arizona DE/OLB Reggie Gilbert has signed with the #Packers.

#Packers signed Illinois WR Geronimo Allison.

Nevada RB Don Jackson has agreed to sign with the #Packers

DT Brian Price of Texas-San Antonio has agreed to terms with the #Packers, source said. More than 20 teams wanted to sign him.

DB Warren Gatewood from Alcorn State has agree to terms with the #Packers, per a source.

Offensive lineman Cory Tucker of South Park and Slippery Rock agrees to UDFA deal with Packers.

N.C. State TE David Grinnage is signing with Green Bay as a UDFA.

Congratulations to Utah State Univ WR Devonte Robinson, who was signed to a free agent contract with the Green Bay Packers.

Idaho State DT Tyler Kuder will sign with the #Packers.

OT Josh James of Carroll (Mont.) College will sign a free agent deal with the #Packers, according to his agent.

Peter Mortell Minn Gophers Punter tweets out Humbled for the opportunity to sign with the Packers. Green Bay, I'm coming home.

Wide receiver Herb Waters said via text message he is heading to the Green Bay Packers

Green Bay native Kyle Steuck will be in camp with the #Packers as a tryout participant this week.

CB Randall Jette of UMass has agreed to terms with the #Packers, per a source.

DE Dale Pierson of Iowa State has been invited to rookie mini camp with the #Packers, per a source

Last edited:
totally underwhelmed by these signings. more than half these guys weren't even listed on anyone's board. there were still some decent players out there and we didn't get any of them.

Here are the 17 other rookie free agents who have signed or agreed with the Packers. All have been confirmed through sources.
Geronimo Allison, WR Illinois: 6-3, 202, 4.6. Former junior-college player started two seasons for the Illini, catching 106 passes for 1,480 yards (14.0) and eight TDs.

Devonte Robinson, WR, Utah State: 6-1, 188, 4.32. One of the fastest players in the draft. Had 44 receptions for 552 (12.6) and four TDs.

David Grinnage, TE, North Carolina State: 6-5½, 252, 4.86. Junior. Caught 67 passes for 798 (11.9) and nine TDs.

Josh James, T, Carroll (Mont.): 6-5, 315, no 40. Played in an NAIA program.

Joe Callahan, QB, Wesley (Mass.): 6-1, 216, 4.98. Completed 918 of 1,429 passes for 12,883 yards, 130 TDs and 38 interceptions in an NCAA Division III program. His NFL passer rating was 112.4.

Brandon Burns, RB, Troy: 5-8½, 208, 4.55. Three-year player. Carried 431 times for 2,264 yards (5.3) and 12 TDs. Also caught 88 passes for 673 and three TDs.

Don Jackson, RB, Nevada: 5-9½, 205, 4.49. Rushed 529 times for 2,370 yards (4.5) and 19 TDs. Also caught 23 passes for 269 and two TDs.

Tyler Kuder, NT, Idaho State: 6-3, 307, 5.23. Had 31 reps on the bench press.

Brian Price, NT, Texas-San Antonio: 6-2½, 322, 5.15. Just 21 reps on the bench.

Beniquez Brown, ILB, Mississippi State: 6-01/2, 234, 4.70. Started 28 of 39 games on the strong side. Posted 200 tackles (22½ for loss), six sacks, two blocked kicks and three interceptions. Didn't work out well.

Manoa Pikula, ILB, Brigham Young: 6-0½, 234, 4.6. Excellent athlete with a vertical jump of 36½ and 24 reps on the bench.

Reggie Gilbert, OLB, Arizona: 6-3, 261, 4.86. Started 47 of 57 games, finishing with 143 tackles (27 for loss) and 14 sacks.

Brandon Gatewood, CB, Alcorn State: 5-11½, 188, 4.51. Vertical jump was 36½.

Josh Hawkins, CB, East Carolina: 5-10½, 189, 4.4. Four-year player with nine interceptions. Vertical jump of 40½.
Randall Jette, CB, Massachusetts: 5-11, 193, 4.65. Vertical jump of 37.

Kentrell Brice, S, Louisiana Tech: 5-11½, 200, 4.34. Explosive athlete. Vertical jump of 42 and broad jump of 11-1 would have surpassed safeties at the combine.

Peter Mortell, P, Minnesota: 5-11, 203, no 40. Played at Green Bay Notre Dame. Three-year starter with career average of 44.0, a school record.NCAA Holder of the yr the last 2 seasons.

bringing in a P right away I see... be interesting to see if that's real competition or the usual "competition" that gets brought in for camp.

Hawkins and Dorleant are both a little undersized at 5'10" but both have solid 40-times in the 4.4 range, which gives them a chance on a team looking for more speed on defense. One of them might surprise, and with Goodson out for 4 games and Hayward gone we might see one of them make the 53-man. Dorleant sounded familiar to me and last night in reading about him, I remember why. He was a verbal commit to Wisconsin at one point before changing his mind and going to Maryland (and eventually UNI).

Callahan the QB is interesting. Supposedly a strong arm and played in a hurry up, no huddle, pro-style offense similar to what MM likes to do. Threw for 8 TDs against Mount Union in a D-III playoff game. Not overly tall being a shade under 6'2", but supposedly throws well on the move.

The OT from Carroll seems to have prototypical size at 6'6"-315#. The Packers apparently scouted him and he was one of their pre-draft visit guys.

Devonte Robinson the WR from Utah State has some serious wheels. Ran a 4.33 at his pro day. Not a ton of productivity at USU, though they were not a particularly polished passing team.

Agree that outside of Brown and Allison there isn't much name recognition in the group. Of course, being an UDFA you can choose which team to sign with. One of the problems might be that guys might not be so willing to sign with the Packers, knowing there are not a ton of openings on the roster. I'd rather take my chances with a team like Cleveland who is looking to do a total rebuild so might be keeping more young guys.

Plus, the biggest holes the Packers had were at OT/OL, where they added 2 quality guys in the draft; LB where they also added 2 guys in the first 4 rounds; and DL where they also just drafted 2 guys. Still, I'd have thought a better quality DT would have been interested, and I'm surprised they could not find a more athletically gifted TE given how little is there right now. There is definitely a roster spot available for a TE and Grinnage is a slower version of Rodgers.

The one hole we did not fill in the draft was at CB, where we could use some depth. It seems that there we did get 4 guys signed. Two of them are smaller speed guys, Gatewood is a taller guy with decent speed (4.5) who was mentioned in in a couple of articles on small-school players, and Jette is a reasonably polished guy.

Not impressed with any of these UDFA's this year. Think that they want a spot they will have to work hard for it this year. Wonder if TT went after any of the better UDFA's that were out there or just went after guys he knew he could get to sign quick to fill out his roster without having to get into a bidding war for guys

Back