Next Badgers Football Coach

This happens all the time when a coaching change is made. Good programs look to pick up the good players from that school.

If I was Allen I would leave UW also.

After yesterday's horrible performance if Mertz transfers he won't be missed. And if Allen doesn't stop dancing like a scat-back and play to his strengths he won't be missed all that much either. There are a couple of o-linemen (starting with Wedig) who can be part of the transfer party as well.

No matter what happens (JL or not) they need to completely overhaul things on the offensive side of the ball.

I think Bucky is in for a hard 3-4 years regardless of who becomes coach. I think anybody that thinks this can be turned around quickly is spending time with Rodgers in Peru.

Because Bucky is no longer the team, they aren't on TV as often out here.

But, when I've been able to watch, I've seen an offensive line that can neither run block nor pass block. On passing plays, our QB is under pressure well before he's set. On running plays, our RBs are frequently hit behind the line of scrimmage. Is it coaching? Is it player? Combination? It's going to take many years to get our offensive line back to its hey day. And, Bucky isn't winning until that happens.

Obviously, we need a better QB. I thought Mertz would be the answer. He throws an beautiful pass, and you think, here we go. But, then it's back to throwing passes that make it hard for the camera guy to keep reciever and ball in one shot. We need to nudge him to transfer - it will be best for both.

Receivers? Yes, the passes aren't ideal. But, Holy cow it's an adventure every time a ball gets near their hands.

Running Backs? Yes, there's hardly any blocking. But, shuffling around in the back field isn't helping. Allen is a shell of last year.

Special Teams have been bad and were horrendous yesterday.

Coaching? Many more issues than head coach.

The defense is young. It's not what it was. But it is getting better. If it stays on course, it will be ok.

None of these are easy fixes. Years of recruiting, and then years of coaching them up.

Neither, Leonhard nor anybody else, will fix it quickly. It's going to be some rough years.

We need a coach with a vision of how to get the ship sailing smoothly in 4 and a plan to right it a bit until then. And, we need to be patient during this period. It ain't gonna be easy

Reactions: #66
This happens all the time when a coaching change is made. Good programs look to pick up the good players from that school.

First let’s stop the narrative that Allen is the “next great Wisconsin back”. He’s basically PJ Hill with some speed. And the next time he plants his foot to make a cut it’s probably the first time.

I think Bucky is in for a hard 3-4 years regardless of who becomes coach. I think anybody that thinks this can be turned around quickly is spending time with Rodgers in Peru.

Because Bucky is no longer the team, they aren't on TV as often out here.

But, when I've been able to watch, I've seen an offensive line that can neither run block nor pass block. On passing plays, our QB is under pressure well before he's set. On running plays, our RBs are frequently hit behind the line of scrimmage. Is it coaching? Is it player? Combination? It's going to take many years to get our offensive line back to its hey day. And, Bucky isn't winning until that happens.

Obviously, we need a better QB. I thought Mertz would be the answer. He throws an beautiful pass, and you think, here we go. But, then it's back to throwing passes that make it hard for the camera guy to keep reciever and ball in one shot. We need to nudge him to transfer - it will be best for both.

Receivers? Yes, the passes aren't ideal. But, Holy cow it's an adventure every time a ball gets near their hands.

Running Backs? Yes, there's hardly any blocking. But, shuffling around in the back field isn't helping. Allen is a shell of last year.

Special Teams have been bad and were horrendous yesterday.

Coaching? Many more issues than head coach.

The defense is young. It's not what it was. But it is getting better. If it stays on course, it will be ok.

None of these are easy fixes. Years of recruiting, and then years of coaching them up.

Neither, Leonhard nor anybody else, will fix it quickly. It's going to be some rough years.

We need a coach with a vision of how to get the ship sailing smoothly in 4 and a plan to right it a bit until then. And, we need to be patient during this period. It ain't gonna be easy
Actually with the portal it’s not a 4 year plan and whoever gets the job better figure it out much sooner. If they don’t McIntosh better begin a new search

First let’s stop the narrative that Allen is the “next great Wisconsin back”. He’s basically PJ Hill with some speed. And the next time he plants his foot to make a cut it’s probably the first time.
Unfortunately agree. Hopefully he turns it around

The Badger HC job now posted...this caught my eye.

Minimum of 5 years of successful collegiate football coaching experience preferred. Division I head coaching experience is also preferred. Other qualifications include the ability to work cooperatively with diverse groups and administrators, faculty, staff and students. The successful applicant must be able to develop and implement innovative approaches and solutions; work well independently and in teams; and be flexible in accepting new responsibilities.

If the Badgers beat Minnesota, I think the timing is right to give Leonhard the job. At 7-4, and a trip to a bowl game, it would end up a fairly decent season, despite all the misgivings. There's no way they would ignore that.

It would be a great present for him also, going into a bowl game with the new title.

Good or bad doesn't matter. It's the perception that if they beat the Gophers, they'll be 5-2 under him, and that's pretty good, considering the season looked like it was down the toilet when he took over. Nobody will even consider how weak the Western Division of the conference is.

If the Badgers beat Minnesota, I think the timing is right to give Leonhard the job. At 7-4, and a trip to a bowl game, it would end up a fairly decent season, despite all the misgivings. There's no way they would ignore that.

It would be a great present for him also, going into a bowl game with the new title.

Good or bad doesn't matter. It's the perception that if they beat the Gophers, they'll be 5-2 under him, and that's pretty good, considering the season looked like it was down the toilet when he took over. Nobody will even consider how weak the Western Division of the conference is.
It's already done, by posting the job like they did they have chosen the next coach.

Back