New catch rule will mean more completions, more fumbles

Discussion in 'Around The NFL' started by Cheesedog, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Cheesedog

Cheesedog Moderator

Ratings:
    +840 / 4
    New catch rule will mean more completions, more fumbles

A step in the right direction.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dannobanano

dannobanano Member

Ratings:
    +221 / 0
    I'm on board with this rule change.

3. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Member

Ratings:
    +955 / 5
    I think there is still too much gray area. The "football move" will be the most debated term in the 2018-19 season. Probably a step in the right direction but it will bite someone in the a$$ this year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. realitybytes

realitybytes Member

Ratings:
    +1,212 / 0
    there's your football move right there.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 0
    Jerry Rice fumbled.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Cheesedog

Cheesedog Moderator

Ratings:
    +840 / 4
    This shouldn't be that difficult. Should be straight forward. Catch, two feet down, it's a catch. You lose the ball after that it's a fumble.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. TW

TW Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,292 / 14
    I agree with cheesedog. If you have the ball, both feet down, just like out of bounds, it's a catch. If you don't hold on to it, it's a fumble. The problem is, why wouldn't that be the same for a sideline play? That would mean it is a catch, and when you fall and don't hold onto the ball, it's a fumble forced by the ground, so therefore, not a fumble. Pass complete!

Gonna be problems here simply because they only have tunnel vision making decisions. They need to cover all the ramifications.

8. realitybytes

realitybytes Member

Ratings:
    +1,212 / 0
    that's where it gets murky imho. in a bang-bang play in real time, the ball might be in the receiver's grasp for less than a second. plants both feet inbounds, snags the ball as he's falling, arms outreached, he hits the ground a split second later and the ball pops out. is it really a "catch". how can you say he had control? i don't think it's as clear cut as we would like it to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TW

TW Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,292 / 14
    They've turned one muddy rule into another muddy rule, because they can't seem to reach consensus. Rather dumb of a group handling that many billions of dollars.