Murphy’s Law: Head coach, general manager report to him

M

Mark Eckel

By BOB McGINN

If Mark Murphy’s new organizational structure had been in place a generation ago the Green Bay Packers wouldn’t have even gotten an interview with the only NFL Hall of Fame general manager in their history.

On Monday, Ron Wolf indicated he never would have considered coming to Green Bay in November 1991 unless team president Bob Harlan had offered him complete authority on all football decisions.

“He knew that,” Wolf said. “I had been through that in Tampa. So if they were going to (hire) me, there’s got to be one person where the buck stops, so to speak.”

On Jan. 2, Murphy said, “I think having a GM that oversees all the football operations has worked. I don’t anticipate major structural changes.”

Something happened over the next six days that led the team’s president to flip his position.

The Packers gave director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst the title of general manager to replace Ted Thompson, whose title was executive vice president, general manager and director of football operations.

Russ Ball, the vice president of football administration/player finance, coveted the GM job. When Ball was passed over, he decided to remain working for the team with the title of executive vice president and director of football operations.

Now coach Mike McCarthy, Gutekunst and Ball will report directly to Murphy, the 62-year-old president and chief executive officer entering his 10th season atop the corporation. In the past, McCarthy reported to Thompson.

When Wolf fired Lindy Infante in 1991, hired Mike Holmgren in 1992, hired Ray Rhodes in 1999, fired Rhodes in 1999 and hired Mike Sherman in 2000, he kept Harlan abreast of developments but made the decision himself.

Gutekunst, however, no longer can fire McCarthy or hire his successor. He’ll be involved in decisions involving the coach, but Murphy said the decision now would be his.

“I think there are 13 teams in the league where the head coach reports directly to the owner,” said Murphy. “I realize I’m not an owner, but I represent the shareholders.”

The Packers are governed by a seven-member executive committee elected from a 45-member board of directors. The executive committee monitors management’s performance in conducting the business and affairs of the corporation.

Besides Murphy, the other members of the executive committee are Dan Ariens, Susan Finco, Mark McMullen, Thomas Olejniczak, Thomas Olson and Michael Simmer.

Since Harlan changed the team’s structure in 1991, the executive committee has had little or no voice regarding coaching changes because that was the domain of the GM. Now the committee, whose members easily could be affected by fans, conceivably could wield considerable influence because the board essentially serves as Murphy’s boss.

“I understand they’ve changed the structure up there,” said Wolf. “Certainly that’s the prerogative of the president, which he’s done. That’s the way it is.

“So, if you want to work there, you work within those parameters. With me, I had been through that, and I didn’t want to go through that again, and Bob was certainly aware of that.

“As far as football was concerned, as long as he was kept informed, I pretty much got my way. I just had to let him know what I was doing. That was our pact.”

Wolf, 37, was named general manager of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1975 by owner Hugh Culverhouse. He lost a power struggle with coach John McKay and was fired in 1978.

“I reported to the owner and McKay reported to the owner,” Wolf said. “They were contemporaries. They fought in World War II together. They golfed together. I got the boot.”

Thompson fired Sherman after the 2005 season and hired McCarthy a few weeks later. Because McCarthy was successful Thompson never had to fire him.

“I thought it would be very helpful for Mike McCarthy, for the head coach, to report directly to me,” Murphy said. “I think it’s best for the organization. Mike, Brian, Russ and I will meet on a regular basis, a weekly basis.

“We’ve had some breakdowns in communication … what would be the best way to improve communication, improve collaboration among our football operations? How do you knock down those silos?”

What does Murphy envision discussing with McCarthy in their weekly sessions?

“Well, uh, you know, obviously game plans, the games, coaching positions, all the things, the strength coach, everything that’s under the coach’s control,” he replied.

For several years Murphy said he has tried to become more involved in football affairs. He said the past week benefited his understanding of today’s game.

Gutekunst will have authority over the draft, the roster and free agency, according to Murphy. Ball’s duties basically remain unchanged.

“I don’t micromanage,” said Murphy. “I hire good people and let them do their job. I’m not going to make football decisions. I’ve got three key people in our football operations. They’re all going to report to me but they are going to make the football decisions.

“My father spent a long career in labor relations and ended up being a mediator. I will mediate and bring people together and try to get everybody on the same (page).

“Ultimately, if it’s not possible, then I will make the decision. But I would say it depends on what kind of dispute. If it’s something that involves the roster, Brian would have final say. And that’s the other thing we’ve done is clearly define the roles and responsibility of each person.”

Unanimous vote: When the Packers concluded their fourth and final candidate interview Saturday, Murphy said “a group of us sat down and pretty quickly we all agreed that Brian was the top candidate.”

The candidates were interviewed one-on-one by team attorney Ed Policy, team publicist Jason Wahlers, head-hunter/consultant Jed Hughes, McCarthy and Murphy. Nicole Ledvina, head of human resources, also assisted, according to Murphy.

“At the end of the process Mike (McCarthy) and I sat down and I was able to get his input on the candidates,” Murphy said. “So he was extremely helpful as well.”

Gutekunst had dinner Saturday night with Texans coach Bill O’Brien as a prelude to an official interview Sunday.

“What sped me up a little bit is I didn’t want him to have a full interview with Houston,” said Murphy. Gutekunst ended things with the Texans and flew back to Green Bay Sunday.

The winner: Of the thousands of prospect reports that Gutekunst has written for the Packers, Murphy asked Gutekunst to show him what he had produced on the Packers’ top pick in each of the last three drafts.

“That was very enlightening,” Murphy said. “Extremely well-written, in-depth and what he talked about and what he saw with those players is what I saw on the field.

“I think he’s a natural leader. You can see that how people interact with him. Has a nice, calming presence to him … he’s viewed as a rising star within the NFL.

“I think Brian’s background, particularly the college scouting side, really stood out in terms of his knowledge and his ability to evaluate.”

Uncertain status: If Eliot Wolf, the third in-house candidate, remains with the organization, his title will have to be adjusted. It was director of football operations, which now belongs to Ball.

“He’s going to be a general manager some day,” Murphy said. “He’s extremely talented. I have high respect for him, and I really believe he’s got a great career ahead of him.”

The post Murphy’s Law: Head coach, general manager report to him appeared first on Bob McGinn Football.

Continue reading...

After a few days to think about, and now to read this, maybe it is the board and Murphy that want a little more power in hiring or firing the coach. Maybe it's not so much that MM has clout with Murphy as it is that the board and Murphy were taking heat and could see that TT was too loyal to MM. I'm down for giving them a chance to work their plan.

“I don’t micromanage,” said Murphy. “I hire good people and let them do their job. I’m not going to make football decisions. I’ve got three key people in our football operations. They’re all going to report to me but they are going to make the football decisions.

“My father spent a long career in labor relations and ended up being a mediator. I will mediate and bring people together and try to get everybody on the same (page).

“Ultimately, if it’s not possible, then I will make the decision. But I would say it depends on what kind of dispute. If it’s something that involves the roster, Brian would have final say. And that’s the other thing we’ve done is clearly define the roles and responsibility of each person.”

this is the key. this is why it will work.

Back