Montgomery Injury Update

GBP4EVER

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
Montgomery said his surgery contained three parts: tight ropes inserted into his ligaments to hold them in place, a cartilage repair and -- perhaps most serious -- a microfracture procedure on his talus (a bone between the heel and fibula and tibia).

Any injury to this critical bone may hamper the movements of the ankle and foot. A major fracture in the bone can cause serious impediment to a person's ability to walk or stand. Compared to most other bones, the talus is deficient in its supply of oxygenated blood. As a result, it takes a long time to repair following a serious injury.

With microfracture of talus, that is minimum 6-9 month recovery. Depends on healing and how cartilage regrows.

So there could be a good chance that Montgomery starts the season on the PUP list and misses the first 6 weeks if he ends up on the longer side of that recovery period.

Can you cite your source? I'd like to read the article so I know what is fact and what is your speculation or the author of the article speculation.

Can you cite your source? I'd like to read the article so I know what is fact and what is your speculation or the author of the article speculation.
Mark reported the first paragraph last night in shout with how long he will be out that was from a tweet in the twitter feed from a person who spoke to a doctor. Why are you questioning it? Not like I am making it up. It's just facts nothing more.

Not trying to be rude but I don't trust half of what I read anymore and so I didn't no if the PUP comment was your opinion or the staff or a doctor or a reporter.

Not trying to be rude but I don't trust half of what I read anymore and so I didn't no if the PUP comment was your opinion or the staff or a doctor or a reporter.

PUP is figuring if he is on the long end of the 9 month recovery period in the stated normal range of 6-9 months for his injury. If it takes on the long end of the recovery period that would push him into September and likely means he would start the season on the PUP list.

Somebody who talked to a doctor tweeted, and it becomes fact? Gotta luv technology. :)

What's wrong with tweeting a doctor who know's this type of injury and asking him what the typical recovery period is. Montgomery has this injury and with how long he's been out is fitting in the window of the recovery period as it's coming up on 8 months since his surgery. Only question is will he be back soon or does he need another month or so to get back.

PUP is figuring if he is on the long end of the 9 month recovery period in the stated normal range of 6-9 months for his injury. If it takes on the long end of the recovery period that would push him into September and likely means he would start the season on the PUP list.

So that was your opinion and didn't come from the Packers organization? I don't disagree with what you are saying and it is possible but I just wanted to know if it was your statement it or if it was from the team.

So that was your opinion and didn't come from the Packers organization? I don't disagree with what you are saying and it is possible but I just wanted to know if it was your statement it or if it was from the team.
Nothing ever comes from the packers. This is the team that refuses to say what exactly Montgomery injury was nor will they say what is wrong with Nelson knee and won't even report what Lindsley injury is. Packers have a horrible track record with injury disclosure

so, since gbp4 seems to be incapable of fulfilling a simple request, here is a link to the article that sparked this whole revelation:

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...-montgomery-reveals-severity-of-ankle-surgery

Packers WR Ty Montgomery reveals severity of ankle surgery
4:22 PM PT
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Ty Montgomery sees the tweets and other social media posts about him. He knows there’s an element of Green Bay Packers fans who can’t understand why it’s taken him so long to come back from an ankle injury that occurred way back on Oct. 18.

The second-year receiver says he tries not to let it upset him because few know the severity of his injury and what he went through to fix it.

“Sometimes it bothers me because I see thing that fly across my social media, but I try not to let it bother me because I know the truth,” Montgomery said. “The people that matter in this building they know, and they know what I’ve been going through.”

Before Wednesday, when Montgomery shared the details of his surgery with ESPN.com, few outside the Packers organization knew exactly what Dr. Robert Anderson had to do to Montgomery’s left ankle.
Montgomery said his surgery contained three parts: tight ropes inserted into his ligaments to hold them in place, a cartilage repair and -- perhaps most serious -- a microfracture procedure on his talus (a bone between the heel and fibula and tibia).

“I think there’s a stigma with a sprain,” Montgomery said. “But what I think a lot of people don’t understand is sprain means partial tear. And people forget I had the surgery in December.”

Montgomery offered no timetable for his return, and coach Mike McCarthy said Wednesday that it was “status quo” on Montgomery and the other four Packers (Jordy Nelson, Jared Cook, Corey Linsley and Sam Barrington) on the physically unable to perform list.

The 2015 third-round pick said he has been cleared to run and even run some routes and added, “I pretty much do everything everybody else does except practice.”

Montgomery was off to a promising start as a rookie, with 15 catches for 136 yards and two touchdowns (plus a 31.1-yard average on seven kickoff returns) in five-plus games before his injury against the visiting Chargers. He made several attempts to come back and impressed McCarthy with his persistence, but when he was never able to get cleared and was placed on injured reserve on Dec. 21, he finally opted for surgery.

“I feel like any time you come off of a surgery -- especially an extensive surgery like I had -- no matter what it is you’re going to be sore, you’re going to have days where it doesn’t feel as good, but you’ve got to push through it,” Montgomery said.

Back