CaptainD

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Founder
2024 Draft Guru
Reaction score
Great read http://www.nfl.com/LostandFound

T-mccarthy.jpg
he phone call came in on a Friday, a day on which men in Mike McCarthy's position -- getting ready to coach a championship game, with one victory standing between him and a spot on football's grandest stage -- typically tune out the noise, be it a legion of talking heads forecasting defeat or a ubiquitous smartphone ringtone.

McCarthy tookthiscall, though, because it was from his only brother, who'd been contemplating a cross-country trip to watch the Green Bay Packers battle the Seattle Seahawks for the NFC championship two days later.

"Don't worry about the tickets," Mike, the Packers' coach since 2006, had assured Joe McCarthy, a Pittsburgh-area lawyer. "I've got you covered there."

Replied Joe: "I can't get a flight. I mean, there's nothing ..." Then, jokingly, he asked, "Hey, if I can get to Green Bay, can you get me a seat on the team plane?"

Mike laughed. "You know what, Joe? Don't sweat it. Just get ready for the Super Bowl. 'Cause we're going -- and you're going."

And then, swiftly and shockingly, it all went terribly wrong.

Read the rest at the link above.

Great read indeed. I sometimes get caught up in the play and the season and lose sight of the fact that McCarthy is a human too. This article served as a reminder that this football thing, we love so much, is just a game. Most of us, if not all, have probably lost a loved one so we can relate to this story. I've given MM plenty of grief and I probably will a few more times but stories like this bring that human side back into focus.

Great article Captain! Thanks for posting it!

Back