Mike McCarthy wraps up Packers minicamp

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay --- Running highlights from Mike McCarthy's Thursday news conference...

On targets hit this spring... Any time you put together a schedule, look at the workload. Exceeded our workload. Felt really good about the installation phase and going back to review it. Definitely hit the target there. Second target you look for, is getting team together, a lot of new drills -- especially on special teams. Each position coach trying to highlight their drills, fundamentals. The competitive period, there was excellent work. Today, the defense had a lot of good moments. Three turnovers in the red zone. Feel really good about the start of the 2015 season.

On giving veterans the day off... The veterans were here for the meetings and strength and conditioning. Two-fold. I felt like we got the work out of that group that we needed. Wanted to give the young guys more reps.

On young players who have stood out... Hubbard has had a heck of a spring. Micah, heck, Micah's old. Three years in. Second-year players, for the most part, in the limited environment have taken a step.

On message to team... We've known since the schedule came out that players would be off five weeks. Part of the way we train. Things we do prior to that are factored in. Continue to educate the ones who haven't gone through it. Guys come back earlier than they have in the past.

On if some guys stay in Green Bay... Some will stay here. The norm is everyone likes to get away, travel, go home. For the most part, people get away and after the Fourth of July people are to filter back in. By 10 days before camp, everyone's typically back.
On long break/staying out of trouble... Had NFL Security meeting. That's a great lead-in in to the vacation. Don't give one talk and things just fall together. A lot of individual relationships. Have to be safe, smart, enjoy time with family and be ready for great opportunity this season.

On redshirt guys.. Carl did some good things. Came into camp in better shape than when he left. He needs to continue to grow. I though Khyri started slow and picked it up as of late. On the line, there's only so much you can do this in this environment. Demetri's interception in the 2-minute drill is what you're looking for.

On Favre returning... It's going to be a great event. It's something we're all looking forward to. Giving him the praise... one thing you always appreciate about Brett is the way he attacked the position. He beat to a different drum. Was with him in 1999. The ability to play in every single game as a Packer, that statement itself is remarkable. This will be a great weekend.

On team-building activities/what other coaches think... I don't think a football team gets better playing ping pong, I'll agree with that. Everybody goes about building their program and culture doing different things. We're in Year 10. We'll do things that work and things we won't do again.

On Ladarius Gunter... Way too early for this. In our helmets and shorts. He's done some really good things. Shows he belongs. I like his physical nature. Stood out on special teams. Aggressive to jump in there; like that as a coach.

On next 6 weeks for him... Personally, it'll be family time. I'll be here in Wisconsin. Trip to Pittsburgh. This is the best time of year here so I don't want to leave. Kids involved in a lot of activities. Been a busy off-season. Looking forward to time with the family

Last edited by a moderator:
Back