Mike McCarthy: I believe in Brett Hundley

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy: I believe in Brett Hundley

A surprisingly pointed article from the GBPG...

More than anything, Hundley’s struggles highlight the big mistake Thompson made when he gambled and cut undrafted rookie quarterback Taysom Hill at the end of training camp. Thompson thought he could sneak Hill through to the practice squad, but the New Orleans Saints had other ideas.

So now Hill is the Saints’ No. 3 rather than the Packers’. Hill might have been the most physically talented of all the Packers’ backups in training camp. He has size, a stronger-than-average arm and ran a 4.46-second 40. He was overaged for a rookie (27 now) and had a troubling injury history. But he had talent to work with. I guarantee the Packers wish they had him now, as an option in case Hundley doesn’t pick up his play in the next couple weeks.

I said it at the time. Cutting Hill was a dumb miscalculation. There were easily 5-6 players at other less valuable positions that could have been cut and brought back. Hundley will likely get better, but Hill seems like the kind of guy you could have groomed and kept around as a valuable back-up for 5-8 years. Being an older guy you'd have had control of his contact until he was in his 30's. At that point, teams were likely not going to go after him as he would likely be deemed too old to build around.

I said it at the time. Cutting Hill was a dumb miscalculation. There were easily 5-6 players at other less valuable positions that could have been cut and brought back. Hundley will likely get better, but Hill seems like the kind of guy you could have groomed and kept around as a valuable back-up for 5-8 years. Being an older guy you'd have had control of his contact until he was in his 30's. At that point, teams were likely not going to go after him as he would likely be deemed too old to build around.
All this is true, BUT nothing would have changed. Hill is not necessarily better than Hundley. I firmly believe that NO QB could come in and run MMs offense successfully. It was formed and exists for one QB only- ARod. Rodgers is the only reason MM is still a HC, he constantly bails out the team with incredible playmaking ability.
Hill would have been interesting, but his injury history signals that he would probably get hurt soon with all the running he would be doing.

Dubz is probably right to a great extent. This is a Rodgers designed system. The only guy I'd even consider capable of putting on the field to replace him in short spurts was Matt Flynn. I say this because he was immersed in the system, and capable of at least running the plays designed for Rodgers. He was a "system QB," in that he did his job as best he could, and at least gave us a chance to win some games.

I wonder if they'll call him, or let their pride stand in the way, and leave him on the shelf. Right now, it would be one heck of a step up in talent, and it's needed.

It's even possible that Matt could win enough to get them in a position where Rodgers could come back, and get them a run in the playoffs. Letting Matt sit is downright stupid, unless he doesn't want to play in GB, which is very possible.

Back