McCarthy on hot seat this season?

GBP4EVER

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/p...-who-is-on-the-hottest-seat-in-the-division-4

Two of the writers and almost a third went McCarthy due to a new GM change and little progress packers have made in last several years.

I agree with this. Rumor was after season that this is make it or break it year for MM that he was given a 1 year ext to avoid a lame duck status but if he misses playoffs or is a one and done the team could move on. This will be his 13th year with the team. He has had a HOF QB all that time and has only managed to get to one SB. I think if the Packers had a traditional owner he would have been fired many years ago. I think all the coaching changes this year is MM being told hey this is your make it or break it year you win or you are out.

A few years ago I came to the conclusion that the Packers will not fire coaches with more than one year left on a contract, and usually it's an "extension contract," and more than likely has a 50% cash buyout clause. It all seems to be part of the plan to insure black ink no matter what, in specific years.

Buyout clause doubtful at 50%. . Offset language yes. As to hot seat no unless the team implodes with 12 playing. The reality is on paper talent wise this is about #4 in the NFC. So a question. If having a HOF QB is the key should NOLA fire Payton?

Buyout clause doubtful at 50%. . Offset language yes. As to hot seat no unless the team implodes with 12 playing. The reality is on paper talent wise this is about #4 in the NFC. So a question. If having a HOF QB is the key should NOLA fire Payton?

Few years back when Saints had couple bad years there was talk about Saints moving on from Payton. Don't often see coaches last this long and Packers have really accepted being medicore with MM.

As we have discussed in the past it's a bottomline league. On paper they might be but if he goes 8-8 or 7-8 then I could see Murphy pull the trigger. You can't have a 8 year SB drought and be a small city league team and hang around long. I am still not convinced everything is cozy in the front office as well.

As we have discussed in the past it's a bottomline league. On paper they might be but if he goes 8-8 or 7-8 then I could see Murphy pull the trigger. You can't have a 8 year SB drought and be a small city league team and hang around long. I am still not convinced everything is cozy in the front office as well.

Murphy just turned 63 and is selling and down sizing his house in GB. I think him and team know when he will be retiring also. Heard rumors in past some think Russ Ball could be a guy who could take over for Murphy.

I have a hunch Murphy is looking at moving on to a lucrative job at NFL HQ, where he can work less, make more, and not have to deal with the day to day problems of a team.

Just my take but Murphy saw the talent on this team hence Thompson “stepping down”. Will he pull the trigger on McCarthy? Maybe depends on how deep this team goes and what is the alternative? Win 12 he is a lock to stay

You better believe he is. The roster needs time to rebuild and grow and turn over a bit. MM may be able to do something with these guys some day but he won’t see it - I can’t say he’ll be a victim of high expectations because after 12 years you’re not a victim of anything, but fans are going to freak at 2 years in a row of subpar play and middling records.

Mark Murphy I have made myself clear - he is a carpet bagger, he can head back to the coast of his choice whenever he pleases and it won’t be too soon.

I think McCarthy is safe for at least another season if he has a winning record this year. For whatever reason, the Packer organization likes him. They did good in clearing out some coaches this past offseason as well as replacing Ted, but made a huge mistake in keeping McCarthy. The roster the past few years was not the big problem, who we have for a head coach is most of our issues. His failure to change and adapt is rather plain and his inability to coach up, develop, and use our new guys to their strengths over the years is also very plain.

We are not rebuilding and don't need to, getting rid of McCarthy and a couple years to let our guys with a real coach will go along ways.

Back