McCarthy: No timeline to hire defensive coordinator

Another thought, maybe not plausible, but what if MM is waiting for some of these other staffs to get their HC in place? Maybe those HC's then release their Coordinators. I know it's a long shot but maybe Fangio gets let out of his contract if the new HC wants a different DC. Same thing in Detroit and so on.

Word is reason Packers have not talked to Fangio is that he's under contract with the Bears till Tuesday at 12:01 which is when his contract expires and then the Packers can talk to him without have to ask the Bears for premission

Word is reason Packers have not talked to Fangio is that he's under contract with the Bears till Tuesday at 12:01 which is when his contract expires and then the Packers can talk to him without have to ask the Bears for premission

I don't know how I feel about Fangio. Mark posted an article outlining the jobs he's had and he's sort of a disciple of Capers.

Fangio has been fired 7 times as a DC. I am not sure why anyone would go that direction

Reason I would like to see Fangio as DC:

In 2010 San Francisco finished 16th in points allowed and 13th in yards allowed. Fangio started in 2011 and finished 4th in yards and 2nd in points. In 2012 they were 2nd in points and 3rd in yards. In 2013 they were 3rd in points and 5th in yards. In 2014 they were 5th in points and 10th in yards. Fangio was fired with a top 10 defense.

In 2014 the Bears were 31st in points allowed and 30th in yards. Fangio started in 2015 and finished 20th in points and 14th in yards. In 2016 they finished 24th in points and 15th in yards. In 2017 they were a top 10 defense finishing 9th in points and 10th in yards.

I'm not sure where he was fired from 7 times but his last 2 jobs he did great and his defenses averaged top 10. He has shown the ability to turn a defense around quickly. I feel Green Bay has the pieces to be a good defense and feel like Fangio could turn it around quickly.

If one wants to check on the D for his teams since he first became a DC, here's the Wiki history

Carolina Panthers (1995–1998)
Defensive coordinator
Indianapolis Colts (1999–2001)
Defensive coordinator
Houston Texans (2002–2005)
Defensive coordinator
Baltimore Ravens (2006–2008)
Special assistant to head coach & defensive assistant
Baltimore Ravens (2009)
Linebackers coach
Stanford (2010)
Defensive coordinator
San Francisco 49ers (2011–2014)
Defensive coordinator
Chicago Bears (2015–present)
Defensive coordinator

and his scheme is a lot more vanilla.

which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you are relying on a consistently "young" roster. capers' schemes were too complex for guys who are just learning the ropes imho.

To be honest, I'm not that enthused about Fangio. His track record doesn't exactly tell me he's that good. He's improved defenses, then watched them go downhill, until he was fired. Maybe his methods are good short term, but worthless long haul. He wouldn't be the first guy who has that problem.

If I bring in a guy who is a 3-4 coach, I'm going to ask that he reach the top 10 in year one. If it's a 4-3 coach, I want to be there in year 2. No further statements, except, git 'er dun!

To be honest, I'm not that enthused about Fangio. His track record doesn't exactly tell me he's that good. He's improved defenses, then watched them go downhill, until he was fired. Maybe his methods are good short term, but worthless long haul. He wouldn't be the first guy who has that problem.

When did he do this. He was fired with a top 10 D in San Fran when Harbaugh left. He now has a top 10 D in Chicago and is being considered for HC positions. His track record in the last 3 jobs is impressive. What have you done for me lately is the pertinent question and lately he's been damn good.

Back