McCarthy: 'I know what direction we're going each and every week'

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay - The following is a summary of Packers coach Mike McCarthy's pre-practice press conference Wednesday morning:

- (On Bakhitari) Today's practice is scaled way back. He'll participate in some of it. He's coming along, making progress.
- (On Goode) No one was made aware of it until Monday. Once did testing found out.
- (On new guy) You do the best you can in this time frame. Having Brett here makes you feel good about it. But the relationship between Mason, Brett and Tim is a strength. Rick will make an adjustment and we'll go along.
- (On special teams) I think we've done a lot of good things. Full evaluations are for the off-season, but It thought we did some good things against Oakland. I think we're definitely starting to hit some of those (off-season) targets.
- (On Abbrederis) The way the week goes will determine that (playing time). How it unfolds in the game is how we go about our process.
- (On Tretter) He was banged up but he came out OK.
- (On Adams and confidence) I think anytime a group or a phase is not what the expectations are, you have to take a look at it. There's some things he can do better. He had a situatioh with an injury. This is the way these seasons go. They're not based on draft reports and way people think it will go. These are normal challenges.
- (On Abbrederis) Very instinctive player. He has natural route-running instincts. He has a very in-tune time clock, particularly with Aaron Rodgers. I think that's his biggest asset.
- (On weekly changes in offensive styles) Well I mean I think you have to look at the definition of different, you know. I mean is it, are we talking different personnel? I think the majority of our offense will be a similar personnel than we've been in the past. I mean they're different schemes. I think everybody around the league, I know we have always, you hang your hat on base concepts and things you can believe in. I think especially in the run game, there's things that we do very well there, that we need to stay true to, make sure we get the first down, get the attempts where you want them each and every week in the run game. And even more so in the passing game. Aaron Rodgers is at the point in his career where there's concepts that he can do in his sleep, so it's important to stay true to that but also protect those and give him the opportunity for adjustment at the line of scrimmage to take advantage of what he sees from the opposing defense. So, I hope that answers your question.
- (On whether there is a clear-cut direction offrensively) From my viewpoint, I know what direction we’re going each and every week with the football team and clearly now calling the offensive game plan.
- (On Rodgers' psyche) I think you could say that there was a sense we didn't play as well as could have. You appreciate it, but you have to stay in tune with reality. We all understand the things that didn’t go right. But we do understand the things that did go right and that’s why we won the game. So, I think our players have a tremendous amount of pride. Obviously, Aaron is at definitely at the forefront of that being our quarterback and what he’s accomplished in the past. So, my understanding is he didn’t feel very good about the way the game went, but I think to a man we all kind of felt that way. The fact is winning is very difficult in this league. I’m never going to apologize for it. Everybody celebrates it differently. I think the staff even had kind of a hangover after coming in here late at night. You know, we’ve had some late, late nights because of the schedule and so forth and there has been a little bit of a hangover from that experience. I think you just look at the way some things have gone, on the road to rain games and all these different combinations. I think that’s just part of a normal tough season. This is the toughest part of the season. The expectations around here are what they are. We all understand that. We’ve had a lot of success around here. It’s become the norm, but that’s why you have to be on top of … the bottom line is you have to win. Now, if you’re into style points, fine. I will just stay true to the video. That’s why you have to come in and take the emotion out of professional decisions and keep plowing forward. This is a tough gig, especially in December.
- (On messaging) You sit up here and think about a weekly theme. It's really where you think your team is. This week's theme is take control. We have a great opportunity against an excellent football team. We have Christmas, we have different challenges. We're all about rhythm and flow. Our schedule has been different. I'm a huge believer it's going to make us stronger. This is a balanced football team. That's what I believe in.
- (On Shields) He's making progress. He's in meetings. I don't know about practice.

Continue reading...

I commented in another thread about the Rodgers comment of not having a clear cut direction. No response from the board. Glad a reporter had the kahunas to ask MM.

Political answers as usual.

You can tell AR is not on the same page as his Head Coach and its being covered up. This will be interesting if it continues into next year as well.

Back