Lions' Calvin Johnson retires officially after nine NFL seasons

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-8971826.0.jpg

After some final deliberations, the All-Pro receiver is done with playing football.

One of the NFL's greatest wide receivers in recent memory is done with the game.

Calvin Johnson, who terrorized NFL secondaries for the past nine years as a member of the Detroit Lions, has officially retired from playing football on Tuesday. The Lions announced Johnson's decision in a press release earlier today:

Calvin Johnson retires from the National Football League: https://t.co/8YgcYxLjNS pic.twitter.com/IdC1yIMX8R

— Detroit Lions (@Lions) March 8, 2016

Johnson ends his career with 731 receptions for 11,619 yards - an average of 15.9 yards per reception - plus 83 ouchdown catches and a 84th score on the ground. He averaged an impressive 86.1 yards per game, good for second place all-time, and missed just nine contests over his nine seasons.

A three-time First-Team All-Pro, Johnson also made the Pro Bowl in each of his final six seasons and holds the NFL record for receiving yardage in a single season, posting 1,964 yards on 122 catches in 2012. For his career, he ranks 27th in total receiving yards and 22nd in touchdowns.

He also frequently tormented the Green Bay Packers. In 16 games against Green Bay, he caught 90 passes for 1,409 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Johnson issued a statement following the Lions' announcement, which included the following:

After much prayer, thought and discussion with loved ones, I have made the difficult decision to retire from the Lions and pro football. I have played my last game of football ...

There are so many other people I would like to recognize and thank for what they have done for me throughout my career, but rather than risk forgetting someone, I will simply say "thanks" to everyone.

We wish the best of luck to Johnson as he moves on to his post-NFL life.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

One of the most exciting and dominant players in the league... If he'd been in the AFC, I would have said I hated to see him go, but I have to admit, I sure won't miss seeing him in that Detroit uniform twice a year.

One of the most exciting and dominant players in the league... If he'd been in the AFC, I would have said I hated to see him go, but I have to admit, I sure won't miss seeing him in that Detroit uniform twice a year.
Calvin and Matt Forte both. A plus for our defense.

Back