Kelsey Card brings home NCAA women’s discuss title for Badgers

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
card-150x150.jpg

Championships are nothing new to Wisconsin Badgers senior Kelsey Card. She’s an All-American multiple times over, has won indoor and outdoor Big Ten titles and an indoor and outdoor field athlete of the year.

The one thing missing from that incredible resume was NCAA champion. Card can now add that to one of the most decorated throwing careers in UW history, as she took home the NCAA outdoor discuss title on Saturday.

She cruised to victory after unleashing a new personal best throw of 208 feet, 5 inches on just her second throw of the day.

“That’s insane to throw that far,” Card said, via Madison.com. “If you had ever told me at any point in my career that I would throw that far, I wouldn’t have believed you. I dreamed of it, but it’s insane to get it.”

Card bested her closet competition by nearly seven feet, with Florida State’s Kellion Knibb’s best throw going 201 feet, 7 inches.

The title capped off an impressive weekend for the thrower, as she also finished fourth in the shot put earlier in the weekend.

It was also Wisconsin’s first women’s outdoor NCAA title in any event since Kathy Butler’s title in the 3000 meters back in 1997.

Wisconsin’s women’s track and field team also managed a second all-American this year, as junior Georgia Ellenwood finished fifth in the Heptathlon. She managed to set a UW school record for points (5,935) in the process.

Those two performances buoyed the Badgers, who finished 14th as a team scoring 19 total points at the NCAA championships. Arkansas took the women’s title on 72 points, while Florida won the men’s title a day earlier with 62 total points.

The post Kelsey Card brings home NCAA women’s discuss title for Badgers appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

Back