Kazakhstan

Discussion in 'Curley's Pub' started by rpiotr01, Dec 1, 2016.

1. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Member

Ratings:
    +719 / 4
    Wow that looked like an interesting trip. Any wild animal sightings of interest?

2. 57packer

57packer 2017 Draft Guru

Ratings:
    +609 / 1
    Love the pictures, thanks for posting them. Some of those desert region photos are dead ringers for the Badlands, one of my favorite places to visit.

3. PackerShrine

PackerShrine Moderator

Ratings:
    +97 / 0
    Yes, thanks for sharing this. Not your average sort of Caribbean trip that most folks take. Sounds very interesting!

4. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +787 / 0
    Thanks all!

eyecatcher - there were wild horses everywhere. This is a picture from a hike in the mountains around Almaty, you can see some horses grazing in the middle right of the frame. In the desert park we saw herds of wild donkeys, goats and some antelope. Unfortunately I didn't have a telephoto lens so could not capture them at all but was still really cool.

[​IMG]

57 - the really interesting thing about this area was the close proximity of so many various geological features. In the US you could be standing in the Badlands but would need to travel another 500+ miles to the Rockies to find high mountain peaks. In this area of Kaz, you could have pancakes, bacon and a great coffee at a trendy cafe for breakfast in Almaty, then 40 mins later be 10k feet up in snow covered mountains. Then 60 miles away as the crow flies (couple hours drive on bad roads) is Altyn Emel, with its deserts and mountains. There's nothing quite like it in the US but I would love to see the badlands.

Packershrine - Don't knock typical Caribbean vacations! I like those just fine, in fact I feel like I need one of those to recover from this one sick(

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Nutbush

Nutbush Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +149 / 0
    How long was that trip in planning rp?

6. diesel

diesel Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +211 / 3
    Spectacular.

7. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +787 / 0
    Not long, 4 months maybe. We were initially planning to go on a road trip to Wisconsin for a Packer game and some brewery stops for vacation, or also considered Islamorada in the FL keys, but my friend who lives over there had been asking us to visit for a long time and wife and I decided to go. He knew a lot of stuff to do, we really just had to buy plane tickets and learn a few words of Russian.

8. Cheesedog

Cheesedog Moderator

Ratings:
    +621 / 2
    Great stuff R.... really nice pics.. looks beautiful over there.

9. oakleaf

oakleaf Member

Ratings:
    +320 / 2
    Stunning pictures! Thanks for sharing!