Just 3 Things : The 2015 Green Bay Packers Training Camp

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
From our blog : Just 3 Things

It's that time of year again as the dog days of summer begin and we are just a few short weeks from football season starting.

As an early preview this year I thought I would pick 3 things and or topics to watch for in the 2015 Green Bay Packers Preseason.

First and foremost will our defense be able to tighten up and mesh with the young players in the defensive backfield ? On that same note how will the loss of some key veterans affect communication and defensive play calls during game time ?

This a defense that must play as well or better than last year for GB to make a playoff run.
Second and maybe one of the most important issues is a changing of the guard in regards to offensive play calling this season. While many self appointed pundits have hailed this as an epiphany I tend to be more cautious.

Every play caller has a different style. It makes no difference what level of football but I fully expect a few bumps along the way as the team transitions to a new pace and style on offense. Watch carefully in preseasons game 2 and 3 for base formation and how the starters attack the opposition.

Third and last in my quick little preview is our dark horse players. Again this season I have picked 3 players who may surprise you and who's name you better know !

First up is 2nd year player Rajion Neal. Neal was doing great things in preseason last year and has picked off where he left off in mini camps. Neal a 5'11 220 from Tennessee knows the system and has all the attributes to compete for the Packers 3rd RB position.

For those of you who missed him in College here are some highlights:

The next player is CB Ladarius Gunter, a great UDFA pick up Gunter is a big 6-2 corner that played at the U in college. Gunter finished his career at UM with 109 tackles, 1 FR, 2 FR, 18 PBU and 6 INT. Gunter may need a little work but he brings that big physical corner mentality to GB and seems to have a nose for the football in mini camp. Watch Gunter close in training camp practices.

Here our his U highlights:

Last but not least is OL Matt Rotherham, he's not pretty and he won't wow you but the former Pitt player cut his teeth in a pro style offense under Paul Chryst and knows how to block. Labeled as a guard now he has enough to flip to RT as well.

So there you have a brief look at 3 things you need to watch for at the 2015 Packers training camp.

What are your 3 things to watch for ?

I like Neal and Gunter would add in Adrian Hubburd as a player to watch in camp. I also agree that those young DB on the backside of the defense are going to have growing pains.

The we are simplifying the defense coming out of Green Bay this off season was podo( Transitioning from college to the pros is always tough. Anyone who expects perfection will be sadly disappointed. gp((

Jayrone Elliot. Mike Neal and Nick Perry are on their way out, Peppers likely in his last year, CMIII will be bouncing around the field. Elliot was a standout on special teams with a huge wingspan and some pass rush ability. By all accounts he's taken the off-season seriously, so I'm really interested to see how he's progressed.

Hubbard is another guy with awesome physical traits, but seems a little lacking in the motor department.

History says at least one UDFA will make the roster, I think it's Gunter this year. With Jarett Bush gone I think he can have an early impact on ST and compete for that gunner position.

Also, IMO the #2 and 3 RB spots are up for grabs. Starks shouldn't be too comfortable. If Neal continues to impress and Crockett shows too much promise to cut I think Starks could be the odd man out.

I think guy to watch is Bradford. Can he convert to a ILB? If not he's a bust and waste of a 4th rounder and will probably be cut.

my three things to watch:
  1. the logjam of inexperienced players at inside linebacker
  2. the logjam of inexperienced players at cornerback
  3. the apparent surplus of (inexperienced) talent at wide receiver
the preseason is all about evaluating the non-starters on the roster, and we have a lot of them to evaluate. on paper, it looks like we have a lot of players with "potential". but then again I have been fooled in the past by players like dj williams, pat lee, aaron rouse, jerron mcmillian, alex green, david clowney, abdul hodge, will blackmon, et al.

Let's see:

Jayrone Elliot. It'd be SO huge if he became a player. I'd also like to see Nick Perry stay healthy. If he does, I think he could be very good. Perry and Hayward need to stay healthy.

BJ Raji. I think he's still got it, hopefully he will show it. Thornton needs to prove he's got it too. Perillo would be some great depth if he shows he can get it done.

ILB: I like Nate Palmer here. Barrington, Palmer, Matthews. But there's a number of guys at the position. I think Carl Bradford can play, but he kind of reminds me of Brad Jones. That Joe Thomas kid might show something too.

WR: There are a number of guys here that could step up. We've got a strong top 3, but then there's Abbrederis, Janis, Coxson and that other guy. All of these dudes can play. Not sure if they're ready though. I thought Myles White was kind of a scrub personally. At TE I'm confident Rodgers will step up, but it will be interesting to see what Kennard Backman can do. If he can play, we'll have to wait until next year to really see him mature, but I'd like to see something from him that shows promise.

I'm not worried about the offense at all as they are poised to be the best offense we've seen in Green Bay. So my three things to watch are
1. The Defense - Can the defense as a unit improve on the whole and finally show some consistent play making?
2. The Secondary - There is a ton of youth in the secondary and we need to see some of that youth step up big this season. Will HHCD be even better? Will the baseball player or the basketball player crack the starting lineup?
3. Special Teams - Special teams has been anything but special the last few years. It would be nice to see the Packers consistently win the battle of field position.

Players to watch for me are Jayrone Elliot and Demetri Goodson.

Every play caller has a different style. It makes no difference what level of football but I fully expect a few bumps along the way as the team transitions to a new pace and style on offense. Watch carefully in preseasons game 2 and 3 for base formation and how the starters attack the opposition

Valid point, Clements and Edgar B will most defiantly bring a new flavor to the table. I think this will help in red zone most as MM was a tad too conservative for my taste. I would expect a few kinks early but once they get a rhythm shouldn't be an issue.

Back