John Kuhn is no longer in the Packers' plans for 2016, per report

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
503318574.0.jpg

Green Bay has reportedly made the decision to go into the 2016 without #30 for the first time in nearly a decade.

Godspeed, John Kuhn.

His red beard, short-yardage running, special teams contributions, and fun-to-shout name have made him a living legend for many Green Bay Packers fans. Unfortunately for those fans, the Packers have "moved on" from Kuhn, according to this report from 620 WTMJ's Greg Matzek.

If this report is indeed accurate, it will mean that the team will lose the second-longest-tenured player on the team - Kuhn's 9 years in Green Bay (going back to 2007) were tied for second on the team with Mason Crosby, among the players on the 2015 roster. Only Aaron Rodgers had more, with 11 straight years.

Kuhn is currently an unrestricted free agent. However, this report and its timing are a bit curious. The Green Bay Press-Gazette just yesterday reported that discussions were "ongoing" between the Packers and Kuhn's team, and ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports following Matzek's report that Kuhn was unaware of any plans to end those conversations.

In his nine years as a Packer, Kuhn was a Pro Bowler and a first-team All-Pro fullback, earning the latter honor in 2014. He ran the ball 196 times for 601 yards (3.1 yards per carry) with 15 touchdowns and added 81 receptions for 557 yards (6.9 yards per reception) and another 8 scores. His best statistical season as a runner came in 2010, as he recorded 281 rushing yards and six total touchdowns to help offset the injury to Ryan Grant.

In 2015, he again made the Pro Bowl after a season that saw him run the ball just nine times for 28 yards and two touchdowns and catch six passes for 56 yards.

Kuhn likely would have been willing to accept a one-year contract for the veteran's minimum salary, which was the deal he signed last season. However, the Packers are apparently comfortable moving on with Aaron Ripkowski, a sixth-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, and Alstevis Squirewell, a converted defensive lineman who was signed as a rookie free agent this week.

Poll
Should the Packers move on without John Kuhn in 2016?

• Yes, it's Ripkowski time.
  • No! KUUUUUHHHHHNNNNNN!

324 votes | Results

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

Kuhn has had quite a career for a player at a dying position. He's journeyed from a NCAA Division II school and an UDFA for another team all the way to Packers HOF, and can boast two SB rings (one with the Steelers in 2006).

He's been an intelligent gentleman playing a position of violence. Definition of a professional - could replace lack of athleticism with work ethic, effort, savvy and knowledge. Great pass protector, took good angles in run blocking, and was ready to carry the ball when asked to. Set a fine example for rookie hopefuls of how to make it.

Always enjoyed watching his interviews, a humble guy. Enjoyed hearing the KUUUUHN chant even more, especially in away stadiums... Would love to grab a beer with him, heck, even invite over for dinner with family.

I think it's time to move on, unless Rip comes to camp outta shape or gets hurt. I hope GB has a coaching internship ready for him if he wants it.

Evidently Kuhn's locker is still intact so perhaps this article is a tad premature? sh))

Evidently Kuhn's locker is still intact so perhaps this article is a tad premature? sh))

Packers seem to let guys hang on till they are officially gone. Right now look on their roster Cook has no number assigned as they still have Jones as 89 as UFA even though packers are not going to bring him back.

Yeah, there are conflicting reports out there.

WTMJ says the team has moved on. ESPN's Demovski says there's no word. Packersnews says there's mutual interest. sh))

Remember last year after drafting Collins he was given #24. MM came out thought he should have not be given that number because it was Jared Bushs number and MM had not been willing to admit that he would not be back at that point.

If this is true, guess who will be wearing purple...?
My guess his career is over. He's 33 or 34 years old. Younger cheaper choices out there. I think for his number of years vet min for him is like a million dollars.

My guess his career is over. He's 33 or 34 years old. Younger cheaper choices out there. I think for his number of years vet min for him is like a million dollars.
But it's the Vikings, LOL! Kuhn is a smart vet and leader who understands the ins and outs of the Packer offense. I can see the Vikings making an attempt to get him.

However, you're probably right. Who wants a FB these days, much less an older one? And the Vikings management seems a bit smarter these days.

I think my main issue with Kuhn is actually that he is incredibly subpar at most things he does. He is not a great lead blocker. In fact I'm not sure I would even consider him passable at it. His pass blocking is average. He doesn't catch well out of the backfield (6 receptions on 10 targets). He doesn't carry for yardage (had a season long of 5 yards last year, and a career long of 18 yards). He fumbles frequently (about 1 fumble every 50 carries for his career). I'm not sure what it is he does other than get too many carries for his talent level (the point here would be that I think he is untalented and deserved no carries). It comes down to the fact that we are essentially taking weapons off of the field to put the human gain of -1, 0, or 1 onto the field.

Back