Jeff Janis' departure leaves void on Packers' special teams

Janis was a small school, late round draft pick, feel good story. Nothing more. We wanted him to do well and when he had one good game that amounted to more luck than skill we used that to question the coaching staff. I always remember Janis on a goal line play not running the route to the front corner of the endzone on a timing route and AR chewing him out for not going to the spot. The throw was where it was supposed to be but Janis wasn't. I think that was more his story then a couple Hail Mary grabs.​

On the other hand, the Packers have been without team speed for (gosh, ever?), here was a guy with plenty of it, and...

I wouldn't even say he was a feel good story. Four years of frustration, either from his lack of 'getting it' or from the team's lack of using him as an advantage.

On the other hand, the Packers have been without team speed for (gosh, ever?), here was a guy with plenty of it, and...

I wouldn't even say he was a feel good story. Four years of frustration, either from his lack of 'getting it' or from the team's lack of using him as an advantage.

We have some young speed at WR in Davis, Clark and Yancey. I'd say all three of them have a better chance to contribute at the WR position than Janis did. There is obviously a reason he didn't get the receiving opportunities.

Edit: With Rich Rod gone the team just got faster too

Last edited:
We have some young speed at WR in Davis, Clark and Yancey. I'd say all three of them have a better chance to contribute at the WR position than Janis did. There is obviously a reason he didn't get the receiving opportunities.

Edit: With Rich Rod gone the team just got faster too

While the trio of Davis, Clark, and Yancey all offer some potential upside over Janis, they still have enough "warts" in their game to warrant the Packers drafting a "more complete" WR than any of them are at this juncture.

Davis reminds me of a smaller/weaker version of Janis, at this moment..........I'm sorry to have to say that.
Clark was sooooo raw (HS freshman football and 1 year at Marshall), that while his potential is truly there and intriguing, it's going to take some time to develop it.
Yancey, to me, is James Jones 2.0 but with inconsistent hands. But he is the more complete product of these 3 at this time.

While the trio of Davis, Clark, and Yancey all offer some potential upside over Janis, they still have enough "warts" in their game to warrant the Packers drafting a "more complete" WR than any of them are at this juncture.

I agree completely. Just pointing out that Janis' speed has been replaced. Speed is not everything.

Back