Jared Abbrederis

Sixty_Six_Ray

Reaction score
www.ganggreennation.com/2014/1/24/5341978/scouting-the-draft-jared-abbrederis-wr-wisconsin

this scouting report is why you keep Abby on the 53. He can run some of the routes Jordy can. all six receivers bring a different skill set to the table. Its about Matchups. Jordy's injury changed how you approach this it will take three receivers to come close to what he did

The story of Jared Abbrederis starts in a very unspectacular fashion. In 2009, Jared was a redshirt, walk-on QB. He was thrown on the scout team, but showed a great work-ethic, and willingness to learn new positions. The coaches realized right away that they had a very smart, and athletic guy on their hands. By his sophomore year, Abbrederis has worked his way onto the team as a punt returner/backup receiver. Even with only two starts to his name, Jared was able to become the number two TD producer on the team

2011 was the year Jared exploded. With more playing time, came a lot more production. At this point, the coaches knew they had a special receiver at their disposal. In his first year as a starter, Jared amassed 933 receiving yards, (which led the team) fifth-most in school history and most by a sophomore. The next two years, Jared stayed pretty consistent with his production. He did continue to hone his skills, and has become one of the better receivers in the draft this year.

Measurables

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 188

Class: Senior

Projected 40: 4.45

Stats

Year Rec Yards TDs AVG
2010 20 289 3 14.45
2011 55 933 8 16.96
2012 49 837 5 17.08
2013 78 1081 7 13.86
Positives

Jared Abbrederis is a very technically sound receiver. Jared's QB background, has helped him tremendously with the understanding of routs. He is truly a QB's best friend. He knows when to sit on a rout, and he knows where the gaps are in between the zones. Even if Jared didn't have 4.45 speed, he would still be able to get open. His speed only enhances his potential. These qualities I mentioned would make Abbrederis a great slot receiver, but his his hands, and downfield ability, means he can line up anywhere. Being 6'1" doesn't make him seem too imposing at first glance, but he knows how to go up and get the ball. He displays his big play potential on a regular basis.

Negatives

Jared desperately needs to get himself into an NFL weight lifting program. He does not have the ideal frame that would look for in a primary receiver. He has been known to get nicked up. He has been known to play through the injuries, but the fact that he constantly is injured, can hurt his stock. Jared also had the misfortune to play for one of the most run dominant teams in the college football. This hurt his production mightily.

Conclusion

I am very much willing to look past his body type, injuries and production. Jared is undoubtedly one of the most polished receivers in the draft. For the Jets, Jared can become a reliable target for Geno, or whoever our QB is. The combination of him and Kerley, will give our QB multiple receiving threats that know how to get open. His shortcomings will probably be exaggerated by scouts, which means he might drop in this talent filled draft. Right now, I have Jared going in the 3rd round, but a great performance tomorrow, can really boost his stock. If we want to double dip at WR, I would love to grab Abbrederis. There have been reports all week from the Senior Bowl that Abbrederis is becoming the favorite target for all his QBs.

Last edited:
You don't keep a guy on a 53 because of measurables and a college career that was 3 years ago. Abbrederis has nothing to earn a spot on the 53. His measurables can get him a spot on the PS.

I can agree.....he was doing very well last year before the injury. Started well this year before the concussion. I think the coaching staff has seen enough to know he can play. If he plays Thursday and can be full go and make the catches, then yes he is worth keeping on the 53 man roster. I still believe they keep 6 WRs and Abbrederis would be a good choice for the 6th one. If released I highly doubt he would make it to our practice squad.

If Abby does well tomorrow night and Ted and Mike decide to keep 6 WRs Jared has a chance. Otherwise he is a prime candidate for the PS.

Back