It's not Eliot Wolf we need to keep.......

It's an interesting situation playing out, and it's not that different from player FA. The org knows these guys inside and out. Wolf seems to have a lot of fans but if they let him go, what does that tell you? If all three go elsewhere and the org looks outside for a replacement, what does that say?

Will be interesting I think within next week SF will want to make a hire on GM job and won't be shocked if it is Wolf.

Wolf would be a good fit. He'd own the job, and make a lot of changes, intent on getting that franchise back on course.

I wonder how he'd handle the Kaepernick situation? That's a sticky wicket that needs to be addressed. Especially since the team thinks he's doing the right thing.

I wouldn't work for the 49ers for anything. Not until the whole program changes direction.

Wolf would be a good fit. He'd own the job, and make a lot of changes, intent on getting that franchise back on course.

I wonder how he'd handle the Kaepernick situation? That's a sticky wicket that needs to be addressed. Especially since the team thinks he's doing the right thing.

I wouldn't work for the 49ers for anything. Not until the whole program changes direction.
What Kaepernick situation do you speak of? The taking a knee? That is a non issue. The media and social media made a big deal out of it for a week or two and it has since faded.

I'd be more concerned with the performance issues with every player on the team. They have many holes to fill.

Hold everything ! John Dorsey maybe in the mix now.

When the Packers face the Giants in Sunday's wild-card game, the focus will be on the field. But the future of the man who built the Packers is one that is being fiercely debated in Green Bay. How long 63-year-old general manager Ted Thompson, with two years left on his contract, continues in his current job is an open question.
Now, an intriguing name has emerged as a potential successor: Chiefs GM John Dorsey.

Dorsey, a former Packers player who cut his teeth in Green Bay under Hall of Fame architect Ron Wolf, has not yet signed a contract extension, sources said. He's in the final year of his deal, potentially opening the door to him leaving what he helped build in Kansas City to work at Lambeau Field.
Sources said Dorsey is incredibly well-regarded by the Packers executive committee, including President and CEO Mark Murphy, from his time as a scout, Director of College Scouting and Director of Football Operations. Timing would have to be perfect, but if Thompson steps away to take a senior scouting role as some involved believe, Dorsey would be in a position to step in this year.
Dorsey and coach Andy Reid have worked hand-in-hand over the past four years to build the Chiefs into a consistent winner, and they are seeded second in the AFC playoffs. The Chiefs intend to give a contract extension to Reid this offseason, a source said. After this year, Reid will be in the final year of his deal.
The list of successors to Thompson is an intriguing one. It includes Director of Football Operations Eliot Wolf, who interviewed this week for the 49ers' open GM job. While he was blocked from interviewing for the Lions' GM job last year, his interview this year means he could be leaving. There is also Russ Ball, the vice president of football administration, who is universally respected in the NFL and by the executive committee. Director of Player Personnel Brian Gutekunst and Senior Personnel Executive Alonzo Highsmith are among the talented members of the Packers' front office.
With Dorsey entering the picture, it adds some intrigue to the future of the Packers' front office.
Follow Ian Rapoport on Twitter @RapSheet.

Add in that KC declined the niners to interview their director of operations Chris Ballard who is Dorsey's number 2. SF was said to have viewed him as their first choice as GM.

Also Dorsey did not sign his contract extension and will be a FA after the Chiefs season ends.

The plot thickens.....

John Dorsey would be huge coming back to GB. You would be getting a proven winning GM. The BOD likes him plus I think he was a key part in Ted having the success he did in drafting. So perhaps Dorsey coming back will improve the drafts if Ted is doing scouting only. Plus I think Dorsey would be more active in FA then Ted is. While the focus would still be the draft Dorsey I think would not pass up the chance to improve the team with a key FA or two.

Back