How to build winners

TW

Reaction score
You forget about team loyalty. You see only one thing. Winning. Thompson and McCarthy have tried to emulate that. They didn't quite make it. They didn't coach guys up well enough, and quick enough, to replace guys they let walk, cut, or trade. It has left a void at times, but their intent wasn't wrong.

If you look at Lang, and Sitton, as well as others, who are no longer in GB, you realize that's what they were doing. Exactly what Lombardi would have done, but probably a little later than he would have reacted, because they kept seeing more in players than what they really had left in the tank. Lombardi would dump you when you lost a step, not wait until you were being beaten on the field. He'd try to get value out of what you had left, and move on.

People don't realize it but despite Lombardi's replacement system, he rarely put rookies on the field, except in some cases, special teams. He just plain wanted them to learn the game during practice and in the classroom before they played. Rest assured, that made them hungry as hell to get out there when they finally got the chance.

Lombardi had something else working for him, which doesn't work today. He owned these guys, lock, stock, and barrel. They didn't call the shots in free agency like they do now. They played for him until he said otherwise.

I've watched, and been part of football for over 65 years now, and I've seen an evolution in the game that's impossible to explain. It has changed on every level, and even the size and conditioning of players is completely different than it was just 20 years ago. The 30s, and 40s, when players drove beer trucks during the off season to stay in shape are history. It's like the difference of watching today's hitters in baseball, and comparing them to Babe Ruth. You can't. It just don't work.

But I do know one thing. When you read this article, you'll see exactly why you have to cut the cord with so many of those players on the Packers who you think "still got it." I know I have to as well. Over the years, two that I felt that way about were Hawk and now Nelson. In today's game it's either fish or cut bait. You can't hesitate for a moment. You need to keep moving.

Lombardi's Packers

The blue print for modern day is out there and their SB appearances back it up....Pat's and Coach B.

Problem is as wrote in a thread, the players we lost from the SB team that TT never replaced and now have voids all over this team

Back