Hornibrook sets records, leads Badgers past BYU 40-6

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Many questions arose last week after quarterback Alex Hornibrook limped to the finish line in Wisconsin’s win over FAU. He answered the critics in a big way on Saturday, setting a record for completion percentage by going 18 of 19 on the day and leading the Badgers to a 40-6 victory over BYU. Hornibrook’s 94.7 completion percentage topped the previous record held by Darrell Bevell, who...

Source

Continue reading...

Early on, it looked like the Badgers defense was going to be "owned" by the BYU offensive line. Big runs, and swing passes that worked. BYU looked either real good, or the Badgers defense was horrible. Then I saw a turn around, as the Badgers defense turned the corner, and dominated BYU. Their hurry-up offense only acted as a help to the Badgers, who got their offense on the field quickly, and they were efficient. It was the BYU defense that was sucking air, not the Badgers, at high altitude. And brother, let me tell you, that elevation does make a difference in how quickly you're winded. My hat is off to our defense, and the coaching staff, who let them take a few lumps, then corrected their mistakes.

On offense, I saw something amazing. Chryst and his offensive coaching staff had turned a disconcerting moment towards the end of last week into a teaching moment, and not only corrected their problems, but gave Hornibrook his total confidence back. They used the short passes, throws on the flat, and reads over the middle, to get him back on track, and he never skipped a beat. It was one of the most surgical usages of the short and intermediate pass that I've ever seen out of the Badgers, and I was elated, seeing the long bomb to Davis. Despite being underthrown, Davis was there, going up for the ball, and winning the hand fight, to take it down.

It's been a long time since I've said this, but I give the team, and the coaching staff, an "A" across the board, except for that 20 some seconds at the end of the first half, where they showed they were human, allowing BYU to get that FG.

Now, if they learned even more from this game, the Big 10 season is going to be one heckuva lot of fun to watch. They just might have a shot at making the playoffs. Can you imagine the tears and cheers, if the Badgers did go on, and win a national championship? It would be bedlam everywhere, because there are so many Badger fans wherever you go.

Back