Highlights from Mike McCarthy's minicamp news conference

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
As the Packers three-day minicamp, the final tune-up before next month's training camp, opened Tuesday, 15 veterans were given the week off.

The following is a summary of coach Mike McCarthy's pre-practice press conference on the first day of mandatory minicamp for the Green Bay Packers:

(On the plan for minicamp) Minicamp this year, the approach is different than it’s been in the past. We have a group of veterans each year, we select each year, there’s periods of time during camps, it usually occurs during training camp and sometimes in-season, you take these groups of veterans out. And it’s all based on where they’re at in their career, creating more opportunities for the younger players. I think we had 15 players that were excused after their physicals yesterday. … These 15 veterans were released for their five-week breaks.

(Players who entered the league before 2012 were excused.)
(On the opportunities for Brett Hundley) It’s a great opportunity for Brett Hundley and the other two quarterbacks. These guys have been playing quarterback for their whole lives, but it’s different to be in command for a whole practice. … You just can’t get enough of those types of reps.

(On Luke Getsy working with the WRs) I think guys that are given jobs without going the path of quality control are at a big disservice of not having the foundation of the grind that quality control gives you. Luke has a great foundation. Now that he’s the No. 1 guy in the room he’s done a very good job. He’s taken control of it. … I think he’s off to a very good start.

(On the team’s status overall) Everything is calculated. Frankly our numbers, in terms of the things we evaluate, are the best of our time here. We’ve got three more days here to keep that. The quality of work and the workload has been very high. I’ve been pleased with that. The message today was, ‘Let’s have a really good finish.’ It’s a minicamp, it’s a mandatory environment. We’re really keeping them in the same flow schedule-wise, timing-wise and all those types of things.

(On the older players having some time off) They were excited. It was kind of a funny meeting when I call them all in the room. … There’s a lot that goes into training a football team. Frankly, the Hall of Fame game is a big part of this decision. We have an extra week of work. … They’re excused three practices today but they’ll have four or five practices that first week, so it’s the same amount of work, or even a little bit more than they’ll have in a normal training camp. … This gives us four or five practices to get those young players ready to play in the first game.

Continue reading...

5 weeks until the real deal. Can't wait gopackgo

Back