Heading Forward, what to do?

Bunch of chatter today about Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde. How they are pro bowl players elsewhere but GB let them walk.

First off both are playing in 4-3 schemes which fit their temperaments better. Hyde moved to safety which is where his ballhawking skills really stand out. Hayward is playing in a man press scheme that brings lots of pressure... both are in better situations then what they left.

Been harping on it for 3 yrs. We need to be a 4-3 base team that plays man coverage with some zone sprinkled in. GB needs to simplify the defense and attack.

Cut Matthews loose and trade out some of the 3-4 guys. 2-3 draft picks and a couple FA later your in business.

sb(tc(

Unless they UDFA Ted has no interest in signing a major FA to help this defense unless he can get a vet on the cheap.

I know a few like to lay it all at the feet of TT, but I don't care who you draft- Capers will compromise them and try to shove that square peg into a round hole.

Exactly the point. That's what bugs me the most. Some talented players have landed in GB, and we've watched their careers be nothing but average, at best, because they are not utilized the way they should be used. It falls on the shoulders of the coaches.

I'll agree that you need to settle on a system that works, and you know, but it has to be adjustable so you can accommodate the talents of the players you end up having on board. That never happens with Capers, nor McCarthy. They keep trying to shove those square pegs in round holes, and blame the pegs for not fitting, or working properly.

In the meantime, teams with caretaker QBs, and mediocre RBs and defenses end up pushing past us, because they at least utilize their people properly.

Systems just plain have to be adjustable. We see how inflexible the McCarthy system is, just by watching Hundley. This Rodgers injury totally exposed the real problems the Packers have. It's coaching.

I've tried explaining this several times over time. I cut my teeth on 4-3 D from 8th grade up. Gap control is why I love the 43 front.

Simple overview

My man Narduzzi on 4-3 over run stop

4-3 over cover 4 stopping the pass

This is the heart of the problem. TT and MM do not fit well together. TT gets "football people" (which in my opinion is a cop out) and MM needs a specific kind of player to run his system.

So who has responsibility to change? If TT stubbornly refuses to get MM the types of players he needs then it's on him because he is not supporting his coach and TT has decided what types of players MM should be using.

If MM stubbornly refuses to change schemes to fit the players he is given then you can make the argument it's on MM to better utilize who he gets.

In the end it doesn't matter, you have dysfunction in the organization at the basic level of player acquisition. And we all see the results.

IMHO it's more on TT because unless you believe the GM should dictate the scheme his HC is using then he should not be giving MM square pegs in round holes. Asking an HC to get a player who doesn't fit his scheme to a) learn the scheme at the pro level, or b) change his scheme to fit the players really isn't a good way to do business. And if TT does not in fact listen to the assistants when drafting etc.. Then it makes sense he isn't getting MM who he needs, especially on DEF.

Either way MM or TT has to go to have any hope of not wasting yet another of Arod's prime years.

Back