Has Wisconsin basketball actually turned a corner?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Just when most fans were ready to leave the 2017-18 Wisconsin Badgers basketball season for dead, they have suddenly come to life. Or have they? A 71-61 win over Indiana to restart Big Ten play was certainly promising, as it extended UW’s win streak to five games and puts them at 2-1 in Big Ten as the team heads on a three-game road trip over the next week. In a season in which the Badgers...

Source

Continue reading...

I'm not ready to say they've arrived as of yet. When I watched the Indiana game, I saw them standing around on the floor, not moving, not creating mismatches, and not opening up passing and driving lanes. They looked inexperienced, and if they didn't have the ball in their hand, they were pretty much spectators, not players. That has to stop, or they will never be an offensive threat.

On defense, they seem to let guys get loose, not because they've double teamed anyone, but because they lose track of the guy they're supposed to guard. It's the complete opposite of the problem on offense, and a lot of that could relate to practice. If the offense isn't moving in practice, neither is the defense, and when they get against a team that can move the ball, they are lost.

There's talent on this team but it needs to be harnessed. They need to force teams to cover everyone on the floor, not sag down onto a couple of players.

Right now, a 50/50 team at best. The Big 10 is tough!

I think some of the "standing around" we are seeing is a function of the offense and the effect of Ethan Happ. In the old days, the Badgers created mismatches in part by inverting the offense, with bigs out high and smaller guys cutting into the lane and posting up down low. With Happ, that is gone. He can't shoot a lick from outside so no team bothers to go out with him beyond about 8-10 feet. That means there isn't much inside space for teammates. Happ is down low all the time and that clogs the middle. They are playing almost an NBA style at this point with a bunch of guys hanging around the 3-point line to pull defenders away from double teaming Happ, with some movement on the outside, but that's about it. It's tough to watch at times, but I think the players and style are dictating some of that. The rest is youth and inexperience.

I think some of the "standing around" we are seeing is a function of the offense and the effect of Ethan Happ. In the old days, the Badgers created mismatches in part by inverting the offense, with bigs out high and smaller guys cutting into the lane and posting up down low. With Happ, that is gone. He can't shoot a lick from outside so no team bothers to go out with him beyond about 8-10 feet. That means there isn't much inside space for teammates. Happ is down low all the time and that clogs the middle. They are playing almost an NBA style at this point with a bunch of guys hanging around the 3-point line to pull defenders away from double teaming Happ, with some movement on the outside, but that's about it. It's tough to watch at times, but I think the players and style are dictating some of that. The rest is youth and inexperience.

I think you nailed what's happening. They are relying on getting the ball down to Happ. That's a mistake. You need to move, and look for those open 3s, and mid range shots, to create openings to get the ball to Happ. That's what's not happening, and our turnovers are enormous because the passing lanes have become static.

Now, if they were playing the offense that Bo did, where they used quick passes, and a lot of them, to create space, it would be great, but they aren't. They're standing flat footed, and the passes are not intended on quick movement to create gaps. They're just moving the ball around with the intent of getting it inside. That will not work in college, I'm afraid.

Oh, and tonight's game answered the question - no, they have not turned a corner. They just lost to a bottom of the pack Rutgers team by playing half-hearted and soft. They have a huge uphill climb to make the tourney.

Ya they didn't look like a big ten team tonight 57

Very poorly played game by the Badgers. They led in every category except turnovers, and 3s.

I'm not confident they're ready to compete in the Big 10. It's going to get worse before it gets better, I'm afraid.

If they keep trying to rely on Happ to do it all, they're going to fail miserably. Teams are dropping down into double teams and the Badgers still try to get the ball to him and fail to move the ball to create openings. When they do move the ball, they get good results, but quit immediately, as if it wasn't part of their game plan.

Back