Gutey's Challenges: Roster, FA, Draft

Terranimal

Reaction score
So we have our new GM and everyone is excited and the casual fan is thinking miracles and return to SB this year. It could happen of course IF everything fell into place when u have AR at the helm.

However looking at the roster of who and what we have verses who and what we had before and haven't replaced is a tall order.

Missing from SB win year: Nik Collins, Woods on, Raji ( was a PB then), Corey Williams, Greg Jennings (our last true #1Wr). Didn't mention TE as he was hurt that year, but is another PB that didn't get replaced.

Thompson failed to find these players replacements.

Now add in an aging core that's not what it once was: Nelson, Cobb, Matthews.

We also lost Pro Bowlers Sitton and Lang on OL and Shields.

That's a tall order and one that can't be fixed in a single draft of free agency year.

Then there's the current roster of normal free agency losses and what to do with some of the older high priced aging players of Nelson, Cobb, and Matthews, which we ran polls on and discussed different scenarios.

We don't know what Gutey will do of course, but my hope is he would be kind of a combination of RW and Thompson and that would bring a Belechik approach.

I don't know current cap numbers of available money and impact of cutting players, etc. But do think we could add one high priced impact free agent and then some lessor ones that roll dice on or stop gap types.

Impact definitely has to be on Defense, whether it's a DE, LB, or Corner.

The Cowboys have a few free agents and doubt they can afford them all. So while this one would command the big bucks, if available would drop the $ there...

DE DeMarcus Lawrence. We haven't had a DE like this in ages and all of the wasted picks Thompson spent on the position. I, for one, am tired of seeing QBs have all day to pick apart our coverages.

Staying on D-Line if can't get him maybe if money is right go for Adrian Clayborn?

Safety is a big issue here as well. I don't think we will give the big bucks and will lose Burnett.

So if not big money on DE, then maybe we spend it on a younger dominant Safety Lamarcus Joyner if he's available. He's an elite Safety and younger.

Point here is we need an impact player on Defense and can't fill all holes in draft or expect a rookie to be at that level right away.

As for other positions and players that don't think will break the bank....

CB Patrick Robinson would be my first choice for a tall physical corner we are lacking and at age 31 don't think he'll be cashing in the big money contract.

TE Trey Burton. Stuck behind Ertz on the Eagles. Could be a player that breaks out here or at worst be an upgrade to what we currently have at TE. Still expect us to draft a TE somewhere in 1st 4 rounds.

This is just some thoughts towards free agency. There are Safeties, DEs, Corners out there of course but most come with label of injuries or age. Regardless still would expect Gutey to use some form of FA to fill holes.

Draft: Reading here and all the Mocks posted on this site, seems most are leaning towards OLBer/Pass Rusher.

Count me in that LOT also. However this team is not one or two players away, as the list of departed players shows.

Therefore don't think can really rule out many positions here. If he sees a player that could be the next Collins for example and lead the team for next 10 years to build around be foolish to take the 4th best OLBer based on need.

In any case, Gutey has his work cut out for him and should be interesting to see what he does. Also great to discuss free agency again also....

This year's draft is pretty much a "moving target" of first round picks. It all depends on what shakes out with quality free agents, and guys kept from FA, before we really know who we'll get, and if a trade is in order prior to, during, or after the draft.

One thing I haven't seen in quite a while is a guy being drafted at a specific point in the draft, then traded immediately to another team for a player already existing on their roster. I haven't checked, so I suppose it's possible it's against the rules, but if not, why hasn't it happened?

I've played that mock draft several times, and the players picked prior to the Packers pick seems to change darned near every time, and they fall out in different orders as well. It's a real crap shoot at our position in the draft.

Not savvy enough to understand the type of trade you mention. Have seen it but always wondered why it wasn't a trade of the player for the draft choice. Maybe just part of the game to keep other teams from knowing who the one team wanted to draft? The Bucks did that with Nowitski, didn't they?

Not savvy enough to understand the type of trade you mention. Have seen it but always wondered why it wasn't a trade of the player for the draft choice. Maybe just part of the game to keep other teams from knowing who the one team wanted to draft? The Bucks did that with Nowitski, didn't they?

Yes. The Nowitzki case with the Bucks is a prime example of how it's done. Instead of giving a pick, you give players after the player is taken, or even players and picks as well. Didn't work out well for the Bucks, but that was what they did.

It's a way of getting a specific player you want in exchange for something that the other team specifically wants, in terms of an established player. The only rub, from what I see, is the amount of front money paid on a contract. I believe that's all considered into the cap immediately, if the guy is traded.

Also lost from that SB team, a street FA who came in, plugged a hole, and did his job. Howard Green tipped that pass that led to Collins pick 6 and put the Packers up 14-0 which put PIT in a huge hole..

I agree with much of what you said T.. Good to see your posts again!

Gutey has a huge job ahead of him. Packers are in rebuild mode. Luckily the QB position is set. But few other positions are.

Back